NewtonPlayGround

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Sascha Willems » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 am

Yes, that bowl is static. But here is an idea of doing triangle-correct colliders in Newton, though I can't tell if it's an option (maybe I'll do an example implementation of this if I get the time) :
Extrude every single triangle of a mesh (e.g. the bowl) a bit (small amount) in the opposite direction of the normal and make a convex hull out of that so extruded triangle, which ends up the convex shape being the exact same shape as the "triangle". Then put them into a single compound collider. In the end you would then have a compound made of convex hulls with the exact shape of that object, and if you enable CC it should work fine. I think that should work at least for certain shaped (not every object shape would allow that) objects with a low amount of triangles, but I guess I should try that out first and then maybe get it into the PlayGround at some point.
Sascha Willems

Postby bal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Looks stunning :o !
bal

Postby Sury » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:20 pm

Looks like a big improvement of the previous version, graphics and physics wise, as these newton scenes looks pretty complex.
Glad to see you back working on it, and as Newton 1.5 is already out, maybe it's time for a playground release too ?:)
Sury

Postby Twixn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Looks awesome, i cant wait to try it!

-Twixn-
Failure is not an option!...It comes bundled with the software.
Twixn

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:59 am

Sury wrote:Glad to see you back working on it, and as Newton 1.5 is already out, maybe it's time for a playground release too ?:)

I'll wait for the bugfixed version of Newton 1.5. In the current release of 1.5 there are some bugs that stop me from releasing the PlayGround. One of those is a bug in the super-sampling of the vehicle container which makes one of the complexer vehicles I've made (a truck which has three trailers connected to it using joints) bring the computer to a crawl and therefore is "unplayable". So I'll release the PlayGround short after the bugfix release of Newton 1.5, which shouldn't be too far from now.
Sascha Willems

Postby Sascha Willems » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:44 pm

Since 1.51 is still under developement, I took the time to add some more stuff into NewtonPlayGround (though I said it's finished codewise on my blog, I decided to still add some things). So the last days I decided to change stuff about the springs in the NewtonPlayGround. Up until now you could only add springs or remove them, with no way of setting their properties. I changed this and now springs can be added with userdefined values for damping and tightness and can also later on be changed and removed using a similar dialog like the one for configuring the joints connected to a body.

So Springs are now an integral part of the PlayGround and I already made my first scene. Implementing such features is usually not very hard, but creating scenes that show them off and make sense are hard to get about. So I sat down and thought what one could do with springs and like a spark it came to my mind that one could make a nice cannon with a very stiff spring and a simple slider-joint, and for the gun I used a compound that makes up the barrel of the cannon :

But more interesting than the screenshot is the video you can get here (1.66 MBytes, WMV format)
Sascha Willems

Postby walaber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:18 pm

as usual Playground is really amazing!! I can't wait for this release, it is a perfect showcase for Newton.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Slick » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:47 pm

Very nice work. I like how you can really see it has a spring effect.
Slick

Postby Sascha Willems » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:16 pm

Well, somehow I couldn't resist replacing that boring sphere the above mentioned cannon shots with a nice ragdoll. And guess what? It really looks totally freaking funny seeing a cannon shooting a corpse against a wall.

So for your viewing pleasure I present you the "Menschliche Kannonenkugel" (900 KBytes, WMV)

And on a more serious note : The NewtonPlayGround is finished. I've just spent some more hours on trying to find any bugs and squashed two small bugs with the connected compounds (not the same as the normal compounds Newton offers). Besides that I haven't found any bugs and there are no more things on my todo list for the PlayGround. It now also comes with 35 scenes to demonstrate what Newton can do and contains a manual that hopefully will get peoples interested started with the PlayGround. So if nothing terrible happens within the next days I'll release it this weekend.
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:29 pm

Ahh the human canon ball make his entrance :D , your forgot to put a disclaimer
“The people you see in this demonstration are trained actors do not try this at home” and “not humans wor animmars were hurt in this simulation”

some people may get confuse and thionk that it so easy that they may try it :shock:
Julio Jerez

Postby Sascha Willems » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:18 am

Oh well, in the end you may be right ;)

Luckily I'm not living in the USA where some insane mother could sue me for her son shooting himself out of a self-made cannon, telling the jugdes that he used my NewtonPlayGround as inspiration :twisted:

And since 1.5 of PlayGround is as far as finished I already started thinking about features for the next version, and one thing I really want to implement are skinned ragdolls. So just imagine shooting something that looks like a real human out of that cannon an smashing against that wall (which actually makes my sick soul laugh out loud). I already implemented skinned Ragdolls in a separate demo, but due to time constraints and the fact that I didn't find any suitable models for it stopped me from implementing it into the PlayGround. But after 1.5 is out, I'll look into that matter.
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:20 am

Well in that case and after washing the visdeo again let me change my comment:
“To infinity and beyond, Hey that’s not flying that’s falling with stile”.

I do not know why I felt completed to say that
Julio Jerez

Postby Assembler » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:55 am

cool videos! i like the ragdoll very much :D
Programming is just for 15 year old boys! Not for grown ups! :)

http://www.celement.de (currently german only)
Assembler

Postby Sascha Willems » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 am

I've just released NewtonPlayGround 1.5, see this thread. So please don't post in this thread anymore.
Sascha Willems

Previous

Return to User Gallery