What are you using Newton Dynamics for?

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

What are you using Newton Dynamics for?

Postby Quimbly » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:17 am

I just thought take a poll and see what people are actually using (or PLANNING on using) Newton Dynamics for.

I'll start this off here. I started a project back in my school days which was inspired by Braitenberg's book, "Vehicles: Experiments in Synthetic Psychology". Basically, it was a behavioral animation project, with elements of artificial life in it. At the time, as far as I knew, there were no free physics engines widely available, so I had to write my own. I still have the code, of course, but it wasn't nearly as good as Newton appears to be. Anyway, I'm anxious now to get back to work on the project I left hanging after I left school.
Last edited by Quimbly on Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quimbly

Postby _vlad » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 pm

Funny,

My first idea (but fastly abandoned) was to make the experiments of a paper I found :
Making a jointed rigid body with neurons for each body (coupled with sensors and torque appliers). And evolving these beings (physically and neurally) toward some goal like walking or jumping.
The paper said they built their own physic engine and the evolving process were taking ages on *really* powerful machine*s*.
I wanted to make something simple but I'm maybe not up to it (or lacking motivation). If someone's interested though, I'd be willing to work in team, it may be easier.

After, I made my car / plane demo
http://www.newtondynamics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777
that nobody can launch (axiom/directx issues) but which is very cool.
_vlad

Postby Cheery » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:53 pm

I'll use newton for role-play strategy games when I got some projects out of queue.

It would be cool to make all the echance from physics by making the units to be possible climb from any place where they can move. Also it would be look good when there comes critical kind hit, all bloody mess goes around correcting the enviroment.

The local project I have going is:
Editor for atom-model based physics engine in 2D.

It takes the hole time from me now.
Cheery

Return to User Gallery