Isle of marooned

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Re: Isle of marooned

Postby Sury » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 am

Yeah, I have SSAO, but I keep it out for now, since it isn't perfectly polished.
I upped the volume resolution a bit, and tried the famous sponza model. I need to make it faster, both the relighting, and rendering and I have some ideas.

Sury

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 am

Hey sury,
I am working on an asset editor, for example, it would be possible to take that building and make the columns and other parts destructible pieces.

do you have some file format?
are you planning on destruction?
Julio Jerez

Postby Sury » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 pm

I downloaded the mesh from here. http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/data/meshes.xml
It has all the columns and stuff, but since vertex count exceeded 65K, I could't load it in my engine, since my meshes are fixed to 16 bit indices ( to save some memory eventually).
I was lazy and just stripped off some of the columns, to make it fit in 16 indices.
I'm working with a rather old version of Newton. Do you have some demo with destruction already ? I should really check the latest Newton versions.
Sury

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm

The is a simple demo that uses the technology, I was going to make the structural destruction demo, but I realize that the demos are becoming to complex, and this one will be even harder to follow.
so I took a detour and start adding wok on the editor so that I can make the code as complex as it nee to be, then the entire thong is exported as an effect.

The editor is plugin based, so anyone can make an effect and export to the engine they desire by just writing a plugin exported that same the data to the way they want.
This is why I ask what file format you use?
essentially the editor is an effect editor similar to what some shades editors that float around
Julio Jerez

Postby Sury » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Yes, I have file format for the levels, as well as for some compound entities. It's XML based and describes what a level containes, meshes, lights, particle systems etc. On the other hand for the mesh format, I can load several wide known 3D formats like .X, collada, etc.
But, Julio why do you ask ? What's in your mind ?
Sury

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm

I ask because, the tool that I am making can load third party format by writing a plugin.

the proccess is:
-Import third party assest
-create an effect on the editor
-export the effect to teh third party format

This is still too erally, by next week I will astrt adding soem basic command to make the destruction, and teh I will add funtionallity as per need it.
I still nee to work on teh navigation, and basic editing.

I see if I can malke a video, of teh work in progress when I have the destruction going.
Julio Jerez

Postby Sury » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:22 am

@ Julio, can't wait to see it in action.
@ JoeJ , I tried your game and it looks and feels very promising ! Do you use Newton for physics, whan graphics engine do you use ?
Sorry for the offtopic.
Sury

Postby JoeJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Ha, thanks! There is no physics or graphics engine in use, anything done on the fly.
Unfortuneately it is not successful. I don't know why, it may be the sum of many reasons.
I try to see it still as a step forward in the process of earning real money with game development.

One thing i've learned may apply to you as well, meaning you should go to public some time before release... as soon as possible.
Host on IndieDB, provide demos... stuff like that. You will get some attention and feedback.
Otherwise you risk to release and remain totaly unknown.
Your game targets real gamers so this should work for you. If you are not 300% sure that you have to hide some new killer feature from everyone - do it! :)
JoeJ

Postby Sury » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:52 am

I'll answer you via PM, and I'm writing this here, incase you only login in order to post.
Sury

Postby JoeJ » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 am

You will or you already did? Because i have not reveived a PM.
You could also use the email from my web page.
JoeJ

Postby Sury » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:02 pm

I've sent you a mail.
Sury

Postby Sury » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 am

I started porting the engine to OpenGL. I want to support Windows/Linux/Mac and maybe some mobile platforms and even PS3 and WebGL.
I ported the deferred renderer, the mesh loader, particle systems, and spot light shadows (almost)

Sury

Previous

Return to User Gallery