Bek Engine to use Newton Game Dynamics

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby unreal » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:20 pm

new Demo update. Maybe not run at vgas that have not 8 or more pipelines. if this happen plz tell it to me.
The demo has some new features. an with the keys 1,2,3,4,5 you can drop different objects.
thank you
unreal

Postby unreal » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:37 pm

New Demo is up! Now working on nVidia Hardware too! The montly Bandwidth limis of the server is almost full.. hurry! ;)
unreal

Postby unreal » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:50 am

Here is a mirror for the Bek Engine.
http://www.nobrains.gr/bek/Bek_Engine_004.rar
thank you
unreal

Postby Sascha Willems » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:37 am

I just wanted to try out your engine, but seems that you haven't included some needed DLLs. First the newton.dll (I own that, but maybe you use an older version in your engine), after I copied it into the engine dir, it wanted SDL.DLL. So could you please include all needed DLLs next time?

And one additional thing : I've seen that you include the Hellknight-Model from D3. You know that you're doing something illegal there, don't you? Giving away copyrighted stuff from a commercial game is something that can get you into big trouble. Using it for educational purpose on your own PC is one thing, but giving it away another. Just wanted to let you know, before you get into any troubles.
Sascha Willems

Postby Xpoint » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:09 pm

Sascha Willems wrote:I just wanted to try out your engine, but seems that you haven't included some needed DLLs. First the newton.dll (I own that, but maybe you use an older version in your engine), after I copied it into the engine dir, it wanted SDL.DLL. So could you please include all needed DLLs next time?
you can find that dll's on his site if i'm right :P but it will be better if he includes them in the rar file :)

btw, the demo runs, but very slow :P but it looks very nice!!
i''ve got a GeForce FX5200 with a Pentium 4 2.8GHz
Xpoint

Postby Sascha Willems » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:22 pm

OK, so I dl'ed SDL.dll from his page and the engine works. It looks nice, but some (constructive) critics :
  • Since you seem to do all lighting dynamic, why don't you let the light sources move around. (I know that you can do it manually, but that's not so nice)
  • Parallax mapping is nice, but your whole map looks like someone smeared vaseline all over it. That's one of the things I dislike with most specular bump-mapping techniques : In most of the demos (yours too), all materials look like they're totally wet or so. I'd suggest to lower specular factor.
  • Let the user change resolution on start-up, 640x480 on a 22" monitor isn't looking that good.
  • Remove that blinking huge text message that says who made the engine. It's very annyoing.

Besides this, it seems to be nice, but an engine has more than just graphics, bumpmapping, lighting and particles on it. A good engine also has a nice toolset and so on, so you're missing much stuff till you can call that a real engine. But seems like you're on the right way, since most people wouldn't come that far, so I hope this one get's finished.

P.S. : It ran at about 50Fps on my Radeon 9700.
Sascha Willems

Postby The unProfessional » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:21 pm

I'm still unable to run any of the Bek engine executables. It goes fullscreen but before anything is rendered, it crashes.

P4 2.8
geforce4 Ti4200
2gb ram
The unProfessional

Postby unreal » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:36 pm

Thanks guys for all your replies.

The Unprofessional. Yes. You can not run the engine. your card does not support Pixel Shaders 2.0 :(

Sascha Willems: Yes i must pack them in the rar file.
You are right about the specular. It does not mean that this will be always like that. the specular factor will be different depending on the material. this is just a demo. The resolution is 800x600. you are right. i must let the user change resolution.
about the text now.. hm.. well... you ar right.. :P
and finaly about the hellknight... i forgot it there by mistake. When i realized it it was to late... with the 56K and my connection i need about 1 hour to upload 5MB. SO you understand. but i didnt knew that is illegal. i didnt say anywere that i made this model.

"A good engine also has a nice toolset and so on". what you mean?
All the proposes are welcome. ;)

Thannks for the replies guys.
I will change the pack now. I will have the dll in the rar and i will remove the hellknight model. but i will not fix the resolution selection now cause I dont have the time.
Thank all of you!
unreal

Postby unreal » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:59 pm

Xpoint: thanks you man. ;)
You run BeK Engine with GeForce5200? I thought that FX5200 does not support pixel shaders 2.0 (ARB_fragment_program). WHat drivers do you use? thanks in advance
unreal

Postby The unProfessional » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:09 pm

A good engine also has a nice toolset and so on". what you mean?

Basically a good engine needs to come coupled with authoring tools to help configure internal engine components visually and without recompiles. For instance, tools for building levels, configuring skinned models/animations, scripting, etc. It's a hell of alot of work, but commercial engines always include such tools.
The unProfessional

Postby unreal » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:26 pm

in this engine you can change a lot of things:
particle properties and particle textures, snow particle properties, light properties(corona, attenuation,color etc), material reaction properties (friction, elasticity etc...), surface shaders, surface properties, object collision primitives, water properties/shader/textures. if you check some files like "firetest.gpi" and generally all the other files exept tga,dll and 3ds files you will see that there are some text files that defines properties of the engine. also the engine right now support what ever indoor level you want (well.. not exectly now because may have some bugs. but levels with simple geometry is ok) using 3DS MAX. but i have not included any guide yet. because nthing is final.
I dont have in plan to release some kind of bekengine editor. I will only make a guide how to make levels using 3DSMAX.
besides this is not any comercial engine. Just for fun. :)

thank you
unreal

Postby The unProfessional » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:49 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track :)
The unProfessional

Postby Xpoint » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:07 am

unreal wrote:Xpoint: thanks you man. ;)
You run BeK Engine with GeForce5200? I thought that FX5200 does not support pixel shaders 2.0 (ARB_fragment_program). WHat drivers do you use? thanks in advance

it didn't run before, but since i've hl2 installed, who says i had to install the newest drivers. So now i've got the newest drivers, and it works now! so i think the update enables 2.0?
or it is just youre updates.. it was the first public demo you released who didn't work :wink:

Btw, i'll check with another demo, what didn't work because of 2.0, let's look if it works now :)

(lol, i think this was very bad english :oops: )
Xpoint

Postby Xpoint » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 am

cool! some demo's wich didn't work on my computer from Sascha Willems do work now! lol :P
so it's my driver updates wich unlocks the 2.0 shaders
Xpoint

Previous

Return to User Gallery