Newton + Ogre

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby walaber » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:02 am

actually I'm not using an UpVector, as you can see in the video, that way the user can align the objects however they want.

Iif you look close in the video, you can see 6 white lines. those are debug output of the 6 spring forces I'm using to control the object. basically I have 6 springs that hold the object... and the angle of the springs introduces the wobble.

I'll have to do a little more studying to develop a better spring system
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:16 am

It is remarcable that you managed to get it working with springs, but I think the using and upvector, will make the system a lot simpler.
You can animate the ping vector to allow for orienting the up position, and the wobble is reduced to just one dimension, which make simple to keep under control.
You try the Upvector custom joint and see how to implement the complete package in the joint itself
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 am

that's an interesting idea.... what I like about the spring system, is that the user can "drag" the object around, and it will interact properly with the surrounding objects. like in the video, to make a ramp between to boxes of different heights, you just place the ramp above the boxes, and then drag it down, and it aligns itself with the boxes dynamically.

I think with a little more tweaking on my spring forces I can get it much smoother. right now the damping is done my simply setting a high NewtonBodySetAngularDamping setting. I'll add some proper spring dampers, and see if that helps.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby walaber » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:41 am

here's an updated video of the improved placement routine. I think you'll agree the "wobble" is down to a minimum now. I also improved the mouse/keyboard controls, so you can move around, pick up items, change the camera angle, zoom-in/out with ease, all with one hand on the mouse, and one on the keyboard (you hold down the CTRL key to adjust the camera).

I'm very happy with this system now... so I'm on to do some more modelling and texturing before I tackle adding in vehicles :)

*note* don't mind the framerate too much, that's from my laptop, while capturing the video, with stencil shadows turned on :D

VIDEO LINK about 3MB DivX .avi
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:45 am

Extremely impresive.
Julio Jerez

Postby rswm » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:01 pm

as said before :shock:
"You will never know everything - but it's good to know where to ask for !!!" *g*

My Project : JS Install Suite - i'm looking for someone who will continue it !!!!
rswm

Postby bal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:03 pm

This is simply amazing. Nothing more to say.
bal

Postby Slick » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:27 pm

Very cool work :o
Slick

Postby walaber » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:20 pm

just a quick note for anyone interested in Ogre. the official version 1.0 of Ogre has finally been released.

this version includes pre-compiled SDK versions, which means you don't need to compile the entire Ogre engine in order to use it. of course it's still open-source, and you can download the source-version to compile yourself as well.

but it's a very powerful, portable 3D engine, anyone interested should definately give it a look now.http://www.ogre3d.org
walaber

Postby walaber » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:54 pm

slight update.

here's a quick screenshot showing all of the props I have built so far, as placed by my editor (click for larger screenshot)

obviously I need to get off my butt and start texturing :D
walaber

Postby Rohland » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:23 am

Hi walaber,

I have managed to get Ogre going in VC6 but am battling in .NET. I get thrown all sorts of errors when I try execute any of the built samples. Hopefully will get it going soon, think im going to rebuild the libraries from scratch!

I have a question, I want to know if you can render to a panel using Ogre, I want to be able to have control of the rendering surface that Ogre uses. Example: 3D studio max rendering windows.

Nice work btw,
Rohland
Rohland

Postby walaber » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:50 am

do you mean like rendering to a texture? that can be done.

also- if you're using VC6, you absolutely need Stlport installed and working on your system, because the microsoft standard library has problems. I use VC 7.1, and it works without STLport, but apparently VC6 and 7.0 both need it for Ogre to compile properly.
walaber

Postby Rohland » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:57 am

Hi

I wasnt speaking about rendering to a texture, i meant to a panel on a windows form. Ie. The device context is not the form itself but rather an item on the form, eg. panel. Can it be done?

Yeah I got it working nicely in VC6 which is supposed to be more complicated to get working in. Its VC7.1 that is giving me problems! Im going to try again now to get it working!

Rohland
Rohland

Postby monster » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:26 am

Yep, it's certainly possible to get Ogre to render to an existing Window, rather than it creating one itself. The meshviewer utility that's available with Ogre does exactly this. As do other people, try searching the forum for "MFC" for example.

I'm sure if you post these questions, and the problems you're having with VC7.1, over on their boards then someone will help you out. They're pretty friendly!
monster

Postby walaber » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:16 am

just a quick note... I'm very clost to having something resembling a demo to release of my Stunt Playground game. just a few quick adjustments, and I think I'll release a small beta to get some feedback, mostly on the interface, object placement system, etc.
walaber

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery