Amnesia The Dark Descent

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Amnesia The Dark Descent

Postby Yezide » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:30 am

Hi all!

Just wanted to say that our new horror game, Amnesia the dark descent, is now released. The gameplay depends heavily on physics which we of course use Newton for.

http://www.amnesiagame.com/

Also like to say thanks to Julio for making an awesome library! :) And thanks to all the support I have gotten.

In case anybody is wondering the game uses 2.08 as I did not have time to update when we where so close to release. It works really great though!
Yezide

Re: Amnesia The Dark Descent

Postby JernejL » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 pm

No swinging lamp :( that would look great in a horror game.. a bit missed oppurtunity.. great work overall tho.

Didn't 2.08 have some raycast bugs that were fixed later? just my thinking..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Yezide » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Oh it has! :D The front video is kinda old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPrDbexXkc
check at end :)

However, the swinging lamp does not use newton, but a simple special simulation.
Yezide

Postby Stucuk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Nice. Looks like you have a professional "Polish" to the game, makes it hard to tell that it didn't come from a Major Game Developer (Most smaller game companies games don't have the same Polish as a Major company so you can easily tell it wasn't made by the "Big Boys").

EDIT: Iv added your game to Game-Requirements.
Stucuk

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Oh Cool,
I agree Version 2.08 is the wise thing to do.

The changes made to vertiosn after 2.08 are impotrtant but not show stoping one,
for the most part optimination and improvemnet and critical bug fixes for soem specific users.
Plus ther are some new funtions must of then to support the new file format.

Anyway I think this is awesome.

It is very, very Dark.
Julio Jerez

Postby Sury » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:37 am

Cool ! I just finished the demo. The graphics are nice but more specular and shadow maps would be super :)
Sury

Postby Sury » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:20 am

Actually, I saw some video walkthroughs and it seems that "The demo doesn't represent the final game quality" . Very nice visuals, interior design and architecture.
As a side note, I read your blog and I'm sorry to hear that the sells didn't went as well as expected. The game looks awesome and reviews are all positive :?
Sury

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm also baffled by the low sales of Amnesia. I just bought it today (sadly real life kept me from playing this gem earlier), and it's been the best horror game for ages. Now that the old genre kings have lost it, with Resident Evil now playing in sunny africa and each new Silent Hill game being worse than it's predecessor I totally wonder why people didn't buy Amnesia. The whole survial-horror genre is almost empty, and the last real scarry game I played was Siren : Blood Curse on the PS3 (and it's my absolute favorite in that genre) and since then there hasn't been a real new survival horror game this genre, which is kinda odd if you look at how many of those games were released last generation.

So for your next game maybe (also) release it on the Playstation Network (or XBox Live), as both (if I'm right) have some funding programs for goof games and at least on the PSN you won't have any problems with piracy like you'd have on the PC. And I'm sure current console gamers would love your games on the console, as here is no survival horror anywhere except for very few games like the next Dead Space.

And one thing I'd really love to see from you guys is an official Cthulhu-themed game in the style of Amnesia. I know that all of your games have references to good old H.P. Lovecraft, but with the real old ones and settings it would be an awesome game. Though I'm not sure on how you'd go around on getting a licence, cause if I'm not mistaken August Derleth's publishing company owns all the rights of Lovecraft's works.
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:02 pm

My guess is that the low sale has nothing to do wit the game and everything to do with the platform.

PC game just do not sale like the do in consoles, It is the sad reality of the world of video games.
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Id bet its mainly due to lack of marketing. If you take Original War for example, Virgin Interactive never did much marketing, so noone knew about it in the west. On the other hand in the Czech Republic where the developer did the Publishing it was a big hit as people actually knew it existed.

Julio Jerez wrote:PC game just do not sale like the do in consoles, It is the sad reality of the world of video games.

Im not convinced of that. PC Games don't sell well in shops because of the Internet, but they do seem to sell well online either via places like Amazon (Which has killed Shops with there low prices) or via Digital Delivery.

When it comes to consoles you generally find that shops have a 2nd hand Bit for games that there customers have sold back to the shop. You don't have this with PC's. So what happens is console people arn't buying new games all the time, alot are just buying 2nd hand ones.
Stucuk

Postby Leadwerks » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:My guess is that the low sale has nothing to do wit the game and everything to do with the platform.

PC game just do not sale like the do in consoles, It is the sad reality of the world of video games.

Alan Wake flopped on the XBox. It would have done well on the PC.

There was a study that concluded that the most useful place to put effort into a game was advertising, and I believe it.
Leadwerks

Postby JernejL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Leadwerks wrote:Alan Wake flopped on the XBox. It would have done well on the PC.

Doesn't look as if it flopped:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wake#Reception
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Leadwerks wrote:There was a study that concluded that the most useful place to put effort into a game was advertising, and I believe it.

I do to, Any modest game console Game budget todays, is around 20 to 25 millions.
if the publisher do not put money on adverticing then the Game do not sale.
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Leadwerks

Postby JernejL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 am

I don't get it, which part there exactly implies it flopped in "box office"?
JernejL

Next

Return to User Gallery