Newton Demos for Delphi (with Source)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Newton Demos for Delphi (with Source)

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:33 am

Hello there!

I stumbled across Newton a few days ago and decided to give it a try. Since I'm coding with Delphi and OpenGL for several years now and always wanted to try out some physics engine. So I decided to give NGD and try, and I'll put together some demos for delphi. All demos will include the full source, and use OpenGL directly (so no wrapper like glScene or so). I'll update this thread everytime I release a new demo!

First demo : Terraincollisions
This uses a TreeCollision for a rather complex terrain mesh and spawns out random boxes that nicely collide with the terrain. You can also move around and throw a heavy crate in your viewing direction by pressing the left mouse button.

(Thumbnail, click for bigger version)

Download the demo directly here, it's 1.26 MBytes and comes with full Delphi-Source.

Second Demo : Ragdolls
Shows the ragdoll container of NGD. There's an environment full of nice obstacles, and you can let some ragdolls fall down on that environment. It's really nice to see how they bend around the obstacles and influence each other. If you want some mayhem, then just hold down enter for some seconds (but not too long, it's gonna kill performance then) :twisted:

Download the demo directly here, it's 522 KBytes and comes with full Delphi-Source.

Third Demo : 3DS-Scenes
This demo loads a complex scene from a 3DS-file (those files can be exported by almost every 3D-Modeller, I've made the two scenes with 3DS Max) and let's you navigate a ball (like in some of Newton's tutorials) through them. I've included two scenarios, one is called sandbox (cause there are many objects to "play" with) and one is called railroads.

Image Image

Download the demo directly here, it's 840 KBytes and comes with full Delphi-Source.

P.S. : Thx to Julio Jerez for Newton itself and S.Spasov(Sury) for the header translation to Delphi!
Last edited by Sascha Willems on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sascha Willems

Postby walaber » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:44 am

very nice!! pretty terrain.

I noticed on my system the heavy crates didn't quite act "right"... perhaps you aren't setting the Inertia values (Ixx, Iyy, Izz) appropriately?

but very smooth demo overall... I hope you make some more!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Sascha Willems » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:51 am

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, you may be right about the inertia of the crate you can throw. I've set all three values to "1", which may not be right for such a heavy cube at all.
Sascha Willems

Postby walaber » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:57 am

ah,I thought that might be it. :D
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby BigB » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:47 am

Very cool Sascha.,
Just one more suggestion ., it might be good to prevent the mouse to get out of the rendering window., sometimes if gets out and when we get it, well, doens't look very good. :)
BigB

Postby Xpoint » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:12 am

Very cool demo :D
I'm also buzy with OpenGL, but i've one question, and maybe you can answer it :)
Ic that you are loading a texture, witch isn't in the power of 2 (or something), on nehe.gamedev.net he says you can't load that textures, but with your demo, it just works fine?? how is that possible?? or can you just load textures of any size?
Xpoint

Postby Sascha Willems » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:25 am

@BigB :
There's code in the demo to prevent the cursor from getting outside of the window (see TGLForm.OnMouseMove), but it seems that the border-threshold I used isn't enough, so if you move the mouse too fast, you'll get out of the window. So I'll do it by just centering the mousecursor in the next demo that uses mouse controls.

@Xpoint :
The 2^n*2^n limit is only if you direclty send the textures to the GL. But I use gluBuildMipMaps2D to build mipmaps for the textures I load, and that function automatically resizes the textures to 2^n*2^n, so you don't need to worry about that anymore.

P.S. : Expect a new demo in the next few days. This time it's ragdolls, and the demo only needs some finishing touches (textures and son on). Ragdolls are really funny ;)
Sascha Willems

Postby Sascha Willems » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:36 am

I've just released the second demos. This time it's about using ragdolls and I'd like to call it "ragdolls in hell" ;)

Se the first post for screenshots, info and download!

Edit : I forgot to include the textures on the initial release. So if the demo won't work, please redownload.
Sascha Willems

Postby walaber » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:09 pm

I like the ragdoll demo too :) I was impressed you could drop them from so high and still maintain stability in the system!! I had a couple of them really whiplash when they hit the blocks :P

I can't wait until the vehicle system is released!! imagine a 4WD ATV with a ragdoll rider who's hands are attached to the handlebars, and feet attached to the chassis- if a big enough impact happened, you could destroy those joints, and send him flying :D :D
walaber

Postby Xpoint » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:48 am

i've seen your site, and that's a very nice site!!! :D all that opengl tutorials, very cool :D only the last tutorials aren't english, but i hope they wil be soon 8) and very nice ragdoll demo, can't wait for the next demo!
Xpoint

Postby The unProfessional » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:58 pm

Hey, you're the developer of TerrTexGen? Nice :) check out my homepage... I'm using your tool to build my base terrain textures. Fantastic job!

http://www.theunprofessional.com
The unProfessional

Postby The unProfessional » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:02 pm

You're extremely talented. Who does your art?
The unProfessional

Postby Sascha Willems » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:26 pm

I do most of the art myself. But I also use some textures made by others (public domain). In the ragdoll demo, the background has been made by me, whereas that stone texture has been made by someone else. The UI for TerrTexGen was also made by me (using Photoshop).
Sascha Willems

Postby The unProfessional » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:35 pm

Your art, especially the textures, is impressive... especially for a programmer.
The unProfessional

Postby Sascha Willems » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:41 pm

As said, most textures are not made by me, and I take them from texture packs that are public domain. Doing textures from scratch isn't my thing, but I often build textures based on other texures.
But most of the texture credits for my bigger projects (like most of the games on my HP) go to others.
Sascha Willems

Next

Return to User Gallery