Amnesia: The Dark Descent (horror game)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (horror game)

Postby Yezide » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 am

First gameplay teaser of our upcoming game Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I guess goes without saying that Newton is used for physics ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHPwAvrc_U
Yezide

Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (horror game)

Postby Dave Gravel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 am

Look really nice.
Good work.
You search a nice physics solution, if you can read this message you're at the good place :wink:
OrionX3D Projects & Demos:
https://orionx3d.sytes.net
https://www.facebook.com/dave.gravel1
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvadLevarg/videos
Dave Gravel

Postby Stucuk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Nice.
Stucuk

Postby JernejL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:01 pm

The attention to detail is great as always, but i'll go nitpick just slightly and suggest you make the petroleum light lantern handle and the lamp itself a physical part hanging from the hand - so the lantern wobbles as you move it around accordingly, it would likely improve the reality & immersion further.
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Yezide » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Delfi wrote:The attention to detail is great as always, but i'll go nitpick just slightly and suggest you make the petroleum light lantern handle and the lamp itself a physical part hanging from the hand - so the lantern wobbles as you move it around accordingly, it would likely improve the reality & immersion further.

Agree! One member of the team is constantly bugging me to do it, so it will not slip out before release :)
Yezide

Postby kallaspriit » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:59 am

Looks fantastic. Another point with the light, wouldn't the enemies see it even if you are peeking around the corner? :P

But still great work, might try it myself one day :)
kallaspriit

Postby KingSnail » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

I am a long time fan of penumbra and frictional games, Really nice progress there, from using 3ds max as a level editor
to having a full suite of tools and great graphical upgrades to the engine. You guys inspired me to program my own engine, and maybe a horror game.
So I congratulate you on nearly completing this awesome looking game.

I like the screaming lady, and the initial monster scream,
but the gargling monster sound is a bit too similar to the infected from the penumbra series, Is that the final sound?

Cant wait to play it, going to preorder.
Working on an MMORPG powered by Newton Dynamics.
KingSnail

Postby Sury » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:18 pm

You gyus are amazing ! :)
I saw some other videos in youtube from Amnesia. Level editor looks nice. Nothing compares with the ability to tweak things realtime and have full blown WYSIWYG. Are you still using AngelScript ?
Sury

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 pm

wow I checked out the other videos too and the editor seems to be incredible.
I love the prefab building block aproach, I wonder how Yeside solve the stiching problems. and what tool his team uses to model the pieces.
Also are you using WxWidget or any other cross platform guy?

all in all, very, very cool. The most terrifying things by far are the enviroment sounds. :shock:
Julio Jerez

Postby Yezide » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 am

Glad you all like it :)

- "Nothing compares with the ability to tweak things realtime and have full blown WYSIWYG."
Yeah that is really ace compared with doing it directly in 3ds max, maya, or similar. Now you can acutally see how a light affects the enviroment and so on. Saves tons of time!

- "Are you still using AngelScript ?"
Yup!

- "I wonder how Yeside solve the stiching problems"
I just combine the geometry :oops: and then the artists need to make sure that stuff matches. We also use a lot of "welder" art to close up gaps.

- "Also are you using WxWidget or any other cross platform guy?"
The GUI is totally custom and part of our engine. Right now we are using a windows-like skin for it, so it looks win32 I guess.

- "and what tool his team uses to model the pieces"
Maya and Blender are used to create assets.
Yezide

Postby Sury » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 am

Cool, I use AngelScript myself, along with Newton and OpenAL. For some reason I feel better when using libraries, that have been used in successful games. :)
Custom GUI looks nice.As far as I know, for the previous tools(material editor, particle editor) you've been using WinForms.net At least for the moding. Is your new scene editor going to be available to other platforms?
Also I saw in a video some kind of really soft shadows. Are you replacing shadow volumes with shadow maps in Amnesia?
Sury

Postby KingSnail » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 am

Working on an MMORPG powered by Newton Dynamics.
KingSnail

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:41 am

Yezide wrote:- "Also are you using WxWidget or any other cross platform guy?"
The GUI is totally custom and part of our engine. Right now we are using a windows-like skin for it, so it looks win32 I guess..

Oh so you do not pan on makin it cross patform? cross platform is is one of my biggest problems with GUI.
the native OS API are so huge and complicated that I find very time cosumming writing cross patform app for them.
However I do recognize hwo much agrvation you save by chosing a native API to make your editor.
Man all of the Gui out there leaves a lot to be desired and the large mayority and right down mediocre and buggy.
so far the one I find more complete is WxWidgets but it really is the heaviest of the heavy weight GUiS.
and is is not the sprinter runner either, but at least it does work and offre all of the controllers sopported by the OS.

Yezide wrote:- "and what tool his team uses to model the pieces"
Maya and Blender are used to create assets.

Ha Blender, I have been looking at blender for some time now, In the future I am planning on a Phyton plugin for Newton.
I do no knwo how will it go, but it appears blender exposes everything via Phyton.
Julio Jerez

Postby JernejL » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am

Julio Jerez wrote:
Yezide wrote:- "Also are you using WxWidget or any other cross platform guy?"
The GUI is totally custom and part of our engine. Right now we are using a windows-like skin for it, so it looks win32 I guess..

I think you meant GUI-S and not GUYS? GUYS sounds a bit.. akward :)

I also wrote my own gui for my game, i found it easier and simplier than incorporating a third party gui system like cegui, and it's cross platform aswell.
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Yezide » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:11 pm

yeah, using shadow maps with smooth edges using scattering (described in GPU gems 2 I think). Renderer is totally remade, using a deferred rendering base now, so not much left of the old one.

As for the gui, just started making my own for the fun of it when we need for penumbra. And then it grew and is now extended by the programmer that makes the tools.
Yezide

Return to User Gallery