vatan engine

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

vatan engine

Postby BigB » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:30 pm

This is a little demo of the things i was able to implement in our engine., everything physics you see in this demo, is loaded and automatically created at runtime, there's no manual tweaks there.
It still has some problems regarding camera control, but that will be fixed in the future.

Anyways, here's the link :

http://www.fysoftware.com/newton/n_demo.rar

and thanks to Julio ;)

[edit]
I forgot, SPACE to open doors\activate elevators, and G to trow a grenade.
[/edit]

Bruno
BigB

Postby Gremlin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:45 pm

Great demo! :D
Has many things to mess around and its fun to play with it :P 2 minutes ago i was specializing in smashing cubes with sliding doors :P

Just faced some bugs that you are prolly aware of: if you try to step the stairs slowly, you can't; if you throw a grenade at some angle, it goes through the ground; and once the music got weird, like kinda crashed, (you could heard the last second of it looping), but i could still play. some seconds later the game exited and returned me to windows

and please make those grenades do some impact on the boxes at explosion :D

Keep up the good work :wink:
Last edited by Gremlin on Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gremlin

Postby walaber » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:03 pm

wow!! excellent demo! the physics all worked great, the doors (I remember you discussing them on this forum) work excellent! I wish the gun worked, so I could try breaking them :D

a few comments:

1. I think the sphere for the player is too big. I realize you are probably using that size to make going up the stairs easy, but it's a little hard to get around objects and push them... I think a slightly smaller sphere would be better.

2. The grenades have no buoyancy! they bounce off the water like it's cement :wink:

otherwise, fantastic demo!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Cheery » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:13 am

It worked well but the player is too smooth in his movings. It looks good and sounds good, good work.
Cheery

Postby BigB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:39 am

Thanks guys.,

My main problem there is the camera, but that will soon be fixed.
As you guys pointed out, it still has several problems, but it's already fun to play around :)
BigB

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:41 pm

Excellent demo.
I think the problems with the character controller are all inside Newton, we will add a couple of more features to make it more responsive.
This is really good because it help us a lot in finding out the weak points in the joint.

I think this is a very good demo of FPS with physics. I like the fact that you are using the physics engine as a tool to make your game better and not the other way around. :lol:

Good work Big B and thanks for the demo.
Julio Jerez
Julio Jerez

Postby BigB » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:11 am

Thanks julio :)
BigB

Return to User Gallery