Newton used in iPhone game

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Newton used in iPhone game

Postby benitosub » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:13 am

Hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know the first iPhone game using Newton Game Dynamics has been posted on the Apple Store ! It's sort of a mix between PacMan and Tron, using the accelerometer to control your ball by tilting the phone, and it uses Newton for physics and collision detection. For those of you who have iPhones and may want to check it out, it's called Death Ball and this should be the link to it :

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =304849248

Using Newton has been a great experience, granted I didn't do anything too fancy with it, but I found the sdk to be incredibly clear, easy to get into, and well documented (up to 1.5 ;)). I have a few years of industry experience and have had to integrate the now defunct Meqon in an existing engine, and also did some work witd ODE, and I can honestly tell you Newton was by far the easiest library to use. Just looking at the tutorials was enough to get me going, and the library behaves very well on the iPhone : I didn't have any problems linking or building with it, no weird crashes (at least not related to Newton ;)), and it doesn't eat up a lot of cpu time :D

So there you have it, if anyone is considering using physics in their iPhone game, I would definetely recommend Newton !

Almost forgot ! A lite version of the game should pop up on the apple store any time soon (it was submitted at the same time as the full version, which was posted for sale last night, so it should be somewhere near the front of apple's "review queue" by now...), for those of you who want to check out the game but don't feel like shelling out a buck and a half ;)

Next up : a pinball game ! (physics are fun !)

Cheers everyone !
benitosub

Re: Newton used in iPhone game

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:00 am

Ha very nice, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will move the post to the "Apprentices and Darth Masters Gallery"

It makes me want to go out and buy and Iphone or and Ipot touch,
I really need to buy want so that I can test the engine in the actual harwdware.
If you can beleive it I have never tested the engine on the hawdared but I really should, because think there are other products using Netwon tha will be sonn publish too.
I want to put some time on the engine because some want told me that the Iphone actually have Simd intruction that can seriully improve teh float performace on the Iphone .
Anyway I have to think a bit about that, so many request and so litle time.

does the game works on the IPot touch?
Julio Jerez

Return to User Gallery