OgreNewt for newton 2.0

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

OgreNewt for newton 2.0

Postby melven » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi,

I've ported walabers OgreNewt to the newton 2.0 beta. You can get the code here:
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/dsa-hl/dependencies/OgreNewt_ngt
I've also added additional features like raycast-debugging! ;-)
I've only tested parts of the library, so there will probably be some bugs...
Feel free to use it and have a look at the description in the OgreNewt.h file!
melven

Re: OgreNewt for newton 2.0

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh very nice.
this will help some of the Ogre user using the engine. has you integrated the car joint?
I wonder how cool would be to convert wallaber stunt play ground to 2.0?
Julio Jerez

Postby melven » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:29 pm

I didn't really integrate the car joint, cause I'm not using it. The old code compiles though...
At the moment I'm integrating your PlayerController-Joint - I try to copy your code in a
new class and change it to use OgreNewt (e.g. use the Ogre Vector and the OgreNewt
raycasts rather than calling newton functions directly...)

We've our own playercontroller in our game and I wanted to improve it, but I thought it
would make more sense to have it in OgreNewt and your code in the CustomPlayerController-
Joint is a good basis, I think ;-) !
melven

Postby Evak » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Were using Ogrenewt in our Ogre gameframework for Blitzmax. Here's a quick video that shows it in action. It's from our simple gameplay tutorial example that shows some basic game mechanics coding.

Two robots and a big stack of boxes, the boxes have offset layers like real brick walls so each block is colliding with 6 others in the stack. Very impressive compared to Newton 1.53 which seemed to struggle with stacking.

Oh, Here's the video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VE1VnW-WMU&fmt=18
Evak

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:21 pm

wow I love it. Game play with wall stacking, what a comcept. I knew that one day this stacking stuff was going to be good for somethimg. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
maybe this is sufficient to make abalanches of rocks than come down a blast the enemy robots. :lol: :D :mrgreen:

It this this with the public Beta?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4972

there are some cool optimization in the latest, if you are on the PC window, that had not made it to the other platforms yet, but it is significan for muticores system.

Evak wrote:... Very impressive compared to Newton 1.53 which seemed to struggle with stacking.

if you like that I think you are going to love the new Pawaaaaa that in cocking in the burners and is comming with the new release.
but do not say that too loud.
Julio Jerez

Postby hpesoj » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Sweet! I've integrated this now and it works like a charm.

I have a query though: are you going to be actively developing this to keep it up to speed? If so, there are a couple of issues I have:

- Typo in "cricicalSectionUnlock"
- The World() constructor doesn't take memory management functions as parameters.
- Within OgreNewt_Prerequisites.h, the entire Ogre library is included, i.e. #include <Ogre.h>. This is unnecessary, and certainly makes all my hard work including only required headers pointless. Also it would be handy having forward declarations of all classes in OgreNewt_Prerequisites.h. I would like to include it in my Prerequisites file for convenience.

I would be happy to make these changes and send them to you, but I don't want to cause conflicts if you are actively updating the source.

EDIT

Gah! And after hours of "debugging", I find that my code is not working because I am illegally copying the "singleton" object BodyInAABBIterator. Somehow I feel that a singleton class should not allow copying of its only supposed instance ;).
hpesoj

Postby melven » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm mainly developing this in order to use it in the project http://www.rastullahs-lockenpracht.de/...
I'm happy to hear it works fine in your project ;-) !

I wanted to upload my version as a branch to the ogreaddons (the 'main'-version of OgreNewt is supported by walaber, but he said he hasn't much time for OgreNewt at the moment), so you could add these changes there (in some days) or send them to me, if you like, and I'll integrate them...

All the singleton stuff should be removed in my opinion, I thought it would make more sense to implement it as a part of each "World" (e.g. World::BodyInAABBIterator and World::Debugger !).

You seem to be using multiple threads, I didn't test multithreading at all and I'm shure there will be some problems (the singleton-classes and probably
some functions in OgreNewt itself should call criticalSectionLock/Unlock...).
melven

Postby MrPattern » Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 am

Broken Link! :)
MrPattern

Postby melven » Thu May 28, 2009 9:01 am

The link should work, sometimes the server is a bit slow :(
melven

Postby walaber » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:52 pm

I haven't logged into this forum in probably over a year, but it's really cool to see that OgreNewt is still going strong!

has anyone officially taken the reigns on updating it in the ogreaddons project?
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi Walaber long time no see. Yeat Ogrenewt was some potent stuff,
It is still going stong with very minor updates for it original version.

The other day I was looking at oprenewt, and I was telling Kellasrint and Melven the there are few things in ogrenewt that works but that do not followe objecst oriented principle of reusing code.

In few occations I posted ideas of how to make the modification so the warapper reused that joint rather than re-implemneting then, which lead to lots of work wit the possibility of reprlcation error.
so after seeing that My message was not getting truoght but I still was geting many questions fromlOgrenet users taht I codul no help, I decised the only way to fix it was to make the changes.
I sayed that Ogrenewt was remarkeble an dteh at teh tiem you made we the joint library was not as develeop as it is knwo, plsu you were making tah tristion from vidual besic to CPP, so all it all it was remarble that it wordk as well as it did.

The dicustion was here you cna read it it
http://newtondynamics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5501

basically I was proposing to redesign the Joint inteface and replace with a joint the contaion a Netwon Custom joint and then reuses the existing joint from the joint library.
this will allow for anyone to make fast updates, plus end users will benefit from bug fixes and new fetyures form the core level rather that wait from some one to make the fix in the OgerNewt joint version. Iy will also allwoe fo thr eresus of the work because mopre peopel will eb using teh same code base.
what do you think?
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:33 am

I agree that updating OgreNewt would be a good idea... if I had time I would do it myself, but I'm simply too busy now to dive back into working on it. I also haven't touched anything with Ogre in quite a while. OgreNewt was the first proper C++ project I created, I'm amazed it's lasted this long :)
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby kallaspriit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:41 am

It is still going strong, I got permissions to update the SVN now (OgreNewt 2 branch) and I hope to help Julio add the updates he wishes :)
kallaspriit

Return to User Gallery