Digital Simulated Pinball

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Digital Simulated Pinball

Postby snowboardglory » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:51 pm

This was a final project I did for school. I built a pinball enclosure that housed a 42" plasma TV and a 15" monitor for the backboard. It had realistic controls including flipper buttons, coin acceptor, and ball shooter. The pinball game was created using Ogre and Newton. The backboard display was a separate application with raw opengl.

This was a fairly big project given the time constraints, so I wish I had more time to work on the pinball board design.. but it played well and the physics were great! (most important part right?) Notice from the screenshot that the view frustum was modified so that the game looked perspectively correct when viewing it on the angled tv (notice there's perspective, but no trapezoidal distortion along the playfield)

snowboardglory

Re: Digital Simulated Pinball

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:25 pm

wow this is really cool.
What king on Moditor do you use? and what kind of graphic card?
Julio Jerez

Re: Digital Simulated Pinball

Postby snowboardglory » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:16 pm

the 42" is an older sony plasma tv I picked up for free, it's not HD but has VGA input.. The model is PFM500A2WU.

The backboard display is just an old 15" NEC I had lying around.

The graphics card is an NVidia 7600 GT, dual-head DVI+VGA.. one monitor was connected to the DVI using a DVI-to-VGA connector.

To get both screens running there are 2 separate X sessions.. the apps on each session communicate using shared memory.
snowboardglory

Return to User Gallery