Crimson Glory game and engine + source code

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Crimson Glory game and engine + source code

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:02 am

Crimson Glory is a side-view airplane dogfighting game inspired by Porco Rosso. The game engine is based on Irrlicht and Newton. I will not continue this game so I decided to release it open source.

I use a Newton wrapper to make it work easily with Irrlicht. There are many interesting things in the source. I wrote an algorithm for mesh cutting and breaking, all with working physics.

More features:
- running, flying, using planes, guns
- complete realistic flight model
- physics with destructible planes
- particle engine
- 3d sound with doppler effects
- music
- networking works only for chatting but you`d have to play around with scripts to start server first and then join
- scripting allows a lot of modifications/additions
- night/day cycle (may not work sometimes)
- semi-intelligent bots
- in-game editor
- maps can be made/edited in DeleD
- working console with scripting and variables

Here is the official news I posted:

Crimson Glory is officially open source. You can download it and do whatever you want with it, unless you want to use it commercially (more info in license.txt).

I want you to get the source code, educate yourself and maybe help me out with it. Add stuff, modify, optimize, suggestions are welcome. I’m using this in my new game, the structure of the engine and all of its core components like scripting and entities will be the same.

Crimson Glory website
(only game (16mb; exe) or game with source (32mb; no exe!) available for download)

The basics you need to know are:
The whole source is written in C++ ready to compile and go from Visual Studio 7 (it should run on any other compiler)
There are 2 projects Crimson (the executable) and GameDLL (the DLL that is executed by the exe); basically the interesting stuff, meaning the whole game is in GameDLL
The engine uses several subsystems:
- graphics: Irrlicht (also used for geometry, including math and vectors)
- sound: FreeSL (wrapper for OpenAL)
- player animations: Cal3D
- scripting: GameMonkey
- network: RakNet
- maps format: DeleD

The game runs on Windows, however it is possible to compile it on any system. The problems I see are in the different components like FreeSL or Cal3D. In theory they should compile but I never tried it.

If you have any questions, need help in finding what is where and what in the engine just e-mail me and I’ll answer as best as I can.
Mike

Postby JernejL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:59 pm

just noticed this on your website few days ago, so what made you change your mind?
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:56 am

Hey,
I described the reasons on my blog http://mm.soldat.pl/?p=14 (there is a link to the actual news from soldat.pl there).
Mike

Postby JernejL » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:38 am

Reasonable cause, aniway good luck with new soldat!
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Return to User Gallery