[WIP] Robot Project

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

[WIP] Robot Project

Postby walaber » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 pm

here are a couple (small) screens and a video of my latest project. It will be a physics-based 2D game involving robots :)

SCREENS
Image Image

VIDEO
YouTube version
Windows Media .WMV direct download

** ignore the speed, fraps dropped the fps to 30, the game runs much faster.

in the video you can see the normal-mapped 2D graphics, and the physics, as well as the "replay" system, for going back and replaying the simulation.

The physics are using a simple 2D joint on all objects, as well as a special powered hinge joint on the robot. The robot's movement is currently just a sin() wave setting the goal angle for each joint.

The project is going pretty smoothly right now, just a bit more functionality to implement, and I can start prototyping out the levels that will be in the game.

anyway, any comments / questions welcome!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:10 pm

Hey walaber I think thst if you make and animated normal map, you can make small detail featuire less facial expresions, liek wrinkles.
Just an idea.

Cool video, I see you had been bussy in the 2d phyics, with nice controlled joints.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:32 pm

I thought I'd post a few updated screens... click for larger. Most of the shots are from the "Part Editor" that I have created to build the physics objects that are in the game. It's come out pretty well, so when the game is eventually released, I might include the editor so people can create their own levels and objects. You can also see the custom GUI skin I'm working on for both the editor, and the game itself. I think it's looking pretty nice if I do say so myself :P

Image Image Image Image
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby walaber » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:53 am

walaber

Postby ghiboz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:54 am

walaber wrote:I thought I'd post a few updated screens... click for larger. Most of the shots are from the "Part Editor" that I have created to build the physics objects that are in the game. It's come out pretty well, so when the game is eventually released, I might include the editor so people can create their own levels and objects. You can also see the custom GUI skin I'm working on for both the editor, and the game itself. I think it's looking pretty nice if I do say so myself :P

Image Image Image Image

great job for the editor!!!
congrats!!!
i'll wait to use it!! :wink:
ghiboz

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Oh my, with the grace of a ballet dancer and the strength of a Olympic gymnastic.
Did you go to see the The Dying Swan by any chance?
I think I saw some familiar moves there.
Julio Jerez

Postby Thomas » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:09 pm

looks very interesting! what will the gameplay be about?

Oh my, with the grace of a ballet dancer and the strength of a Olympic gymnastic.
:)
Thomas

Return to User Gallery