Vatan SDK

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Vatan SDK

Postby BigB » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about to go public with the engine Vatan, but before doing so, can someone with an ATI card superior to the 9800 give it a go ??
The link is :

www.iluminategames.com

thanks,
Bruno
BigB

Postby Dave Gravel » Wed May 09, 2007 2:25 pm

I have a little ati x700 here, i have try to download your application but when the download coming on the middle it halting and i receive no data after. I have try two times and it have make same problem.
My connection is cable and i can download normaly with 1.0 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps with no problem on good server.

Anyway i can retry later i just like to let's you know about this problem i'm not realy sure from where it coming.
Do you have a firewall that stoping the ping <> pong communication ?
Dave Gravel

Postby BigB » Wed May 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi k00m,

hmm, i don't know what to say, you are the first person to report this problem.
Maybe you can try with a download manager ?? It's a standard server service, no firewalls that i know off.

please, let me know how it goes,

thanks,
Bruno
BigB

Postby Dave Gravel » Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 pm

I make a other try tonight when i back home.
The project looking realy good anyway on the video.
Later.
Dave Gravel

Postby BigB » Wed May 09, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks,
If you do try it, please use this patch :
http://www.iluminategames.com/demo/patch.rar

thanks again :)
BigB

Postby Dave Gravel » Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 am

Ok i'm now back and i have success to download the demo.
I think to know why i have get this download problem now just by reading your forum. I have surely try to download it when you have change the corrupted download setup.

Now my low config computer setup:
I have a old amd 2000 + with only 512 ddr ram and a ati x700 with last driver. My motherboard is a old 8k7a+ epox, I need to say my computer is overclocked but I can't say the mhz because it is overclocked from the power line and all capacitor on the board is changed. Just in exemple i can play to Oblivion, EverQuest2 with good detail no problem.

I have open your demo and i have change nothing on the option just to see how it going. The first try is not realy a success hehe, it is just if i can move the player. I have back to the menu option i have remove all quality and all options, the seconde try working very good with good speed too. I have back again to the menu option i have replace all option to high but this time i have disabled only all shadows and wow it working pretty same the test with option off but with realy more nice graphic quality. I have remake some test about the shadow and all visible shadow looking to kill my computer when shadow is enable the character looking like to have a magnet under. The demo look to use many ressource system too, because on my hd C:\ i have only a free 2gig and in my hd e:\ i have a 80 gig free i have install the demo on my e:\
I very not know why exactly when i have close the demo windows have msg me that c:\ having no more free space.. but after the msg have go and it have back to the normal. The demo using around 2gig of ressource ? I don't have find any fps counter too on the demo it is present somewhere ?

Anyway the demo is pretty nice and i have very like the editor mode video too.
Good continuation and good luck with your project.
Sorry about my bad english..
Dave Gravel

Postby BigB » Thu May 10, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks for the report k00m :)

One question, Could you see the shadows ? Where they correct ? I mean, the shadows on the vegetation, and ground ? Or did it had a black aura aroud it ?

I don't know about the resources, in that case probably as you only have 512 Ram, and the videocard most lickely doens't have much memory either, all the textures are sent to the ram, so the game probably uses the disk as virtual memory ( just guessing here )
BigB

Postby Dave Gravel » Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Yes i see shadow normaly but player move like to have a magnet under with the shadow enable. The shadow looking nice but it is very slow on my config. About the video it having 128 meg. And the 512 ram is not so much but exemple Oblivion having a lot stuff rendered in same time and same with Everquest 2 mass online both game having pretty same effect too about water and shadow and shader Everquest2 have amazing terrain and city, big castle. Anyway it is sure my config start to come very old and can't work good under all new stuff.

When i talk about other game i don't try to comparate the demo with this games. I just try to make you know what this config is able to run to have a better idea. I can see it using a lot ressource because when i close the demo it take very long time before come back to the normal this is surely again because the 512 ram but it is the first time i trying a game taking this time to back to the normal. Same i have say before my config is not realy the best to make test but i very like the demo anyway and if it can help you to fix some ati problem i'm happy here it looking to work pretty good only the shadow is so much for my config.

I'm suposed to have a new computer config soon around one week i can let's you know when i get it at home.

Nice work and it is surely better to wait report from other user config because my is not so the best but can help to fix a minimum require to run your game.
Dave Gravel

Postby Sweenie » Fri May 11, 2007 5:29 am

ooohh. :shock:
I've only watched the movies so far but it looks extremly good.
Can't wait to get home and try the techdemo.

May I ask how your gameobjects are constructed?
Componentbased/datadriven or "hardcoded objects".
By hardcoded I mean for example, StaticMesh, PhysicsMesh, AnimatedMesh and so on.

I've been having several attempts at making a componentbased system but it's very tricky to get the components to work together in a flexible but yet userfriendly way.

Currently my gameobjects consists of two parts.
First a "blueprint" that defines the components and how they are connected and secondly a property/parameterlist that defines appearence, physical properties etc. etc.

For example a swinging door may consist of these components.
* Transform(Handles pos, ori and scale)
* Mesh(duh)
* Body
* Collider
* HingeJoint

Enough babbling but I find this topic extremely interesting and seeing how you obviosly mastered this I can't restrain myself from asking. :wink:
Sweenie

Postby BigB » Fri May 11, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm not sure if i understand you question Sweenie, but here it goes

If by hardcoded you mean, i have objects that have physics and objects that don't, objects that are animated and objects that don't, yes, then i have it like that. :P

A swinging door, in my case it belongs to the class of doors, they are all the same object, but depending on the parameters you feed in, you will get a swinging door, a automatic door, etc
BigB

Postby The unProfessional » Fri May 11, 2007 6:02 pm

I downloaded your techdemo because the videos looked great and I was pumped to play with it :)

However, in VEdit, none of the menu options are working for me. For example, if I click File -> Open Level, nothing happens. No dialog pops up, just ignores my mouse click.
The unProfessional

Postby BigB » Fri May 11, 2007 6:11 pm

Yeah, it's ignored.., Did you read the readme file ? :P
In Vedit, push the console down with the TAB key, and type "load mission1".
And in Vatan, did it run ok ??
BigB

Postby WEst » Sun May 13, 2007 7:07 am

I tried your demo and it runs quite well with 4xAA, but the shadows make some problems, it runs a bit slow when the shadows of the vegetation are activated, and the shadow resolution is very small (extreme aliasing at the borders), and the biggest problem: it seems, that you are rendering the shadows on a screen space technique or something like that, and if behind the players arms a shadow gets casted, it is rendered onto the arms and not the terrain in the back.

My specs: AMD X2 4600+ , 2 Gig RAM, ATI X1800XL w 256MB VRam
WEst

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon May 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Is Vatan evolving from game to game engine?
Julio Jerez

Postby BigB » Tue May 15, 2007 10:30 am

Yes Julio it is.
How you can possible imagine it's being quite hard to be making a game with the low resources that we have, and a game without artists, it's a no game.
BigB

Next

Return to User Gallery