Leadwerks Engine Released

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Leadwerks Engine Released

Postby Leadwerks » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:51 pm

After one year of hard work, I am finally releasing my engine. Thanks to Newton, this gets 100 FPS with full physics, shadows, and lighting.

Download:
http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=41 (32.6 mb)

The complete features list can be found here.

Thank you for your feedback and testing over the last year.

Last edited by Leadwerks on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leadwerks

Postby RapchikProgrammer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:57 am

Awesome stuff dude! The only problem i saw with your old version 2.0 example of character controller was that if a card didnt support shader 2.0 then without giving an error it quit! I hope that this problem is removed in the current engine! And bravo feels like something that could fight the source engine of hl2!
RapchikProgrammer

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:15 am

Oh I did not know there was a demo there. :o
Jesus this cannot be right I am getting 1000 fps in all of the demos.
In the FPS demo I am getting 333 in the outside and 250 inside building with the physics on. The slower I saw was 200 fps.
Can I fire in teh fops demo, I cludl nto figure out how?
Now you need to implement some nice joint for articulated bodies. if you know what I mean.

How do you get the wire frame rendering so fast?
I noticed the you have the help map to the s key, but that is also the reverse motion in the fps, and when the help key is on the fps goes down to 65 fps.
It seem that text drawing is very slow, maybe you should use a different key for the help. :idea:
Very, very nice engine. :D

edit:
Play some more, this is extraordinary, I love the old tires in the landscape. :D
I push the old drum and I see what you mean about the real time shadowed and illuminated of the scene, the drum are lit and soft shadow and the y move. And the fps is still 250.
I think you got something there. AT least it leaves some room for implementation of game logic and populating the world with NPC
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Well, I took your BSP routines, which were already very fast, and then I added some update management so that all expensive updates get updated one per frame in a cycle. For example, only one shadow is re-rendered each frame, and only one corona raycast is performed each frame. Your new triangle/indice list function also made the fast projected shadows possible.

Do you think we can get some additional object management functions now, like perform a callback for all bodies intersecting a given body? :twisted:
Leadwerks

Postby RapchikProgrammer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:48 am

Hey im also planning to make a 3d engine or maybe expand it to game engine, so can you mail me the BSP routines leadwerks and the triangle/index list functions you are talking bout or something, it wud be really helpful for me!
BTW ma mail is [coolroolz [at] (hotmail){dot}[com]] Sorry for the strange format, just to protect myself from spam!
RapchikProgrammer

Postby aidave2 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:56 pm

download not working

edit: its working now

but it starts in the middle of the desktop, this doesnt work if you have multiple monitors

looks good tho, good job ;)
aidave2

Postby bakura10 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Good engine, but really don't know why the big scene is so slow in my computer (3.2 GHz, 1 Go RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro). Around 5 fps outside, 15-20 inside... But my computer is really slow these times, for everything... I'll have to format it soon :lol:.
bakura10

Postby Leadwerks » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:11 pm

For some reason ATI users have reported much lower framerates.
Leadwerks

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:14 pm

Hey I just saw you on the Collada forum asking for help one a file format.
What a small world.
I think you could use the implementation I am doing for free, and you may even extend it.
It supports already the type for file you describe in your post and you can even extend it.
Frankly I do not think that Callada is a good file format for final game assets, but it is good for file transfor across different modeling packages.
So the way I would using if is the level editor will export and import Collada,
but the game run time will not, that way you can open the level editor to handle assets form other editors.
Julio Jerez

Postby Leadwerks » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:56 pm

Sure, that would be great. Is the source available?
Leadwerks

Postby Game_Ender » Wed May 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Very impressive engine Leadwerks. I got the impression the you were allowed advanced and/or source releases of Newton is that correct?
Game_Ender

Postby Leadwerks » Wed May 16, 2007 6:36 pm

The only thing special here is the function I used to do the shadows. Everything else is regular old Newton v1.53, I think....whatever the current version is
Leadwerks

Postby Leadwerks » Fri May 18, 2007 1:53 pm

Here is the second BlitzMax module test. The engine has been completely rewritten over the last two weeks.

I actually just started with vehicles two days ago. The fact that I had them working in one day is a testament to Newton's design.

http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=44 (5.43 mb)

Features include:
-Super-fast rendering with mesh instancing can handle 1,000,000+ polygons.
-Blitz3D-like command set, including mesh and surface contruction commands.
-Dynamic lights, projectors, and shadows.
-Z-sorting for transparent objects.
-Fast terrain decorations for grass, rocks, etc., can handle tens of thousands of instances.
-Complete command set for rigid bodies, joints, and ropes.
-Easy-to-use command set for creating vehicles with arbitrary number of wheels.
-Load DDS compressed textures (more than ten times faster than loading textures from image formats).
-Store media in package files (.zip or .pk3).
-Extendable particle emitter entity.
-Built-in corona entity for light halos.
-Extendable mesh loader type to add support for more file formats.

Leadwerks

Postby bakura10 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Your engine is really really great ;).

But I have some questions about your format model. Did you create it ? What does your format support ? Is it possible to have some informations about your format ? It's just for learning purposes ;)
bakura10

Postby Leadwerks » Fri May 18, 2007 3:56 pm

I don't have the format documented. If you download the Leadwerks Engine SDK from my site, it contains a converter to convert 3ds or x files to .mesh. I am adding support for direct loading of more formats, but .mesh is the fastest because it gets read straight into memory.
Leadwerks

Next

Return to User Gallery