OFF ROAD - race

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

OFF ROAD - race

Postby martinez » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:00 pm

HI ALL,
Im programmer and I create project OFF ROAD, this is racing game with half trucks with big wheels, I use Newton SDK and it works great!
I give a link to my demo.
Have fun!
and wait for comments...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... de2602120b
martinez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:59 pm

I just tested.
when the race start teh car in the front leave me is the dust and I never catch up.
how are you making the vehicle? raycast, joint or the vehicle joint

I think the friction with the ground is too strong makind the car flip to easeally.
If you make the friction lower it will be lot of fun to play slinding and tire burning, I think)
Julio Jerez

Postby martinez » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:I just tested.
when the race start teh car in the front leave me is the dust and I never catch up.
how are you making the vehicle? raycast, joint or the vehicle joint

I think the friction with the ground is too strong makind the car flip to easeally.
If you make the friction lower it will be lot of fun to play slinding and tire burning, I think)

Thank you,
To create vehicle body I used NewtonCreateConvexHull,
and NewtonConstraintCreateVehicle, then I add tyres
NewtonVehicleAddTire function,
Yes, I think the car flip too much and I had a problem with it, but to avoid it I put point of inertia little bit below the car body,
friction is between 1.95 and 2.0 so is very strong and maybe it is the problem, Ill try to change elasticity and softness of material but Im not sure if it will help
martinez

Postby martinez » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:02 pm

Ive changed it and now the car little bit slide and not slip too much
just one trick in callback function

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... acbe30295f
martinez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Cool much better. Now I can keep up with the opponent but if I make the slighted misstate I is game over. :D
I think you the friction is still too high, you can make a function of the speed, at high speed make about half of the of the value.
That is one of the tricks for making nice vehicle behavior because rolling tines have the ability to move sideway without sliding.
The other suggestion is that you should make the sting a function of the speed at high speed the maximum steering angle should be about very small and also the rate of the steering should be lower,
think about when you drive a car and you move at higher speed the driver barely turn the stirring wheel.
And the third suggestion is that I think the springs of the suspension should be a little stronger if possible. You can try a small increment and try.

edit:
yes I tested again and definitely the steering angle need to be reduced as the vehicle speed increases.
Also I notice you show the axel, nice touch :D, that’s why I asked if you where doing it with joints intend of wit the vehicle joint
Julio Jerez

Postby Sweenie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:13 am

Something that I think improves steering is implementing Ackerman steering.
Many would say that it has minimal effect in a computer simulated environment but my vehicle tests has shown that without Ackerman steering the vehicle lose too much speed while cornering, even almost coming to a standstill when moving at lower speed.
Easily explained, if you are turning and both front wheels are pointing in the same direction they will work against each other and cause unwanted friction.

Read about it here --> http://www.rctek.com/handling/ackerman_ ... ciple.html
Sweenie

Postby martinez » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi again,
this is a new version of the game.
BUT now cars uses ray-casting test instead of geometrics objects.
Engine works faster :) and physique is better I think.

Anyway this is a link to the game.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... a9b921f295

martinez

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Wow I have to say I am impressed. It is much easier to drive now.
I was winning until I made a wrong turn and got lost. I still think it is too quit to turn.

A raycast car custom joint is something I wanted to make for a long time but never have the dedication to do.
For more arcade style I think you are right and ray casting is faster.
Can you explain a little about your approach? Are you using a joint with friction? Or a special force and torque callback?
Julio Jerez

Postby martinez » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:41 am

demo v. 1 0 :)
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=315418

I use 4 sensors where are the "wheels" and UP vector to simulate movement of tyre, sensor is an point multiply by matrix of car or object conected to body where are the wheels,
I had a problems with a small objects that moving with high speed, those objects broke ground and pass through, I know that I can scale the object when object is moving but is there any other way to prevent such objects broke through terrain?
I try to use NewtonBodySetContinuousCollisionMode (1)
but usucessful when the body is conected to car
martinez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:02 pm

I think it is better you find a different site to upload the demo.
I clicked on the link and I cannot figure out how to download the demo.
Julio Jerez

Postby kallaspriit » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:16 am

Yeah I couldnt download either of them..
kallaspriit

Postby martinsm » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:51 am

You must first click "Click Here to go to the file download page" link and then on second page click "Download File" button.
martinsm

Postby Sweenie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:07 am

Uhm... All I get is a filmed sequence of an elevator(I think) , a large room and some shrubbery? :?
Sweenie

Postby martinez » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:50 pm

sorry,
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=315373
and again I'd like to ask how to avoid passing small objects through ground. Is a good solution to scale object when moving.
I mean is it work fast enough, so that I can use it in commercial games?
martinez

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:03 pm

I still could not download it.
I am curios about your approach. What makes me a little skeptical about it is that you use of a small object.

I make a deal with you.
You give me a level mesh and a vehicle model, and I make a ray car cart joint, with a small demo
I had implemented vehicle physics for few commercial games.

I see that there is a demand for a ray cast car and it see that unless I start the ball rolling with a demo the implementation of a functional car will never happens.
I think I can make a very convicting and fun raycast car and from there you just need to make the modification you want.
Julio Jerez

Next

Return to User Gallery