WiiSticks [wii remote + physics]

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby walaber » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:48 am

BETA RELEASE

a beta version is up on my website for those with the equipment to run the program... I'd love any feedback I can get... the responsiveness of the controls can still be improved, but in low-gravity mode, it's actually quite playable!

http://walaber.com/wiisticks/WiiSticks_Beta_01.rar

and updated video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WHKQuh_puI
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:53 pm

hey walaber I saw the video and it looks like a hard game to master.
dude do you have a 30 each monitor? the thing looks like a cinema screen.
I have not played the demo because I do not have any game imput device attached to me computer.

also do the controller have dead spots? it looks like in the vertical orientation the controller is lossing one degrre of freedon.
Julio Jerez

Postby Dr_D » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:50 pm

I was curious if they use gyroscopes? They could be suffering from Gimbal lock? I was making an airplane simulation a while back, and I read a NASA paper about the astronauts instrumentation that had problems with it. Actualy, I think it was a scientist named Gimbal who described it best. I dunno really... maybe they use mercury sensors?
Dr_D

Postby OvermindDL1 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:47 am

Accelerometer's. Nintendo is not stupid. :)
Last edited by OvermindDL1 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
OvermindDL1

Postby Thomas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:48 am

this is the sensor chip used by the wii controller: http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADXL330,00.html
i think a description of how it works is in the data sheet pdf.
Thomas

Postby walaber » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:16 am

there are no dead spots on the controllers, but my method for extracting the orientation could certainly use some work... interpreting the data from the accelerometers is not as simple as just grabbing a rotation matrix :P
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby OvermindDL1 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:53 pm

I did research on it now. It is rather interesting how it works, not real accelerometers. It is actually a small weight that when pressed upon by a force (changing position, gravity, etc...) generates a small bit of current that updates its position. Ergo, gravity is always pulling it down from whatever direction, that is how you can tell that you rotate it and so forth. If the thing was in a free-fall, zero force on all axis, and you rotated it, it would not know about it. :)
OvermindDL1

Postby SnprBoB86 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm

SnprBoB86

Postby walaber » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:39 am

nice!! thanks for the link!
walaber

Postby walaber » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 am

Beta-02 released

I have just released an updated version to my website.

changes
:arrow: Added the ability to turn the sticks left/right by tilting the remote(s)!
:arrow: Improved bluetooth stack compatibility, should work on most bluetooth stacks now (please try if it didn't work before, and let me know if it still doesn't work)
:arrow: bug fixes

DOWNLOAD LINK

I still have a few things to do before I call this "complete", so any suggestions are welcome!
walaber

Postby Yezide » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:20 pm

I need to get my hands on some wii motes so I can test :)
Yezide

Postby OvermindDL1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Still no place around here selling Wiimotes... or anything else related sans a few Wii games. The places are getting them *in*, they just sell out instantly and whenever any place gets them in, I'm at work/school...
OvermindDL1

Postby PaulPool » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Is there a guide or something for how to get this thing working? I can't find one anywhere, and I really want to try this out!
PaulPool

Postby walaber » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:45 am

there is a simple readme file included...

it's basically as simple as connecting 1 or 2 wii remotes to your PC via bluetooth, and then running the app!
walaber

Postby PaulPool » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm

I couldn't get it open either, gave me a list of applications to choose from to open it.

Well I don't have bluetooth anyway... and I don't think a wireless router will do it. Well maybe my friends have one. Thanks!
PaulPool

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery