IrrNewt irrlicht\newton framework

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

IrrNewt irrlicht\newton framework

Postby white tiger » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:35 am

I wrote a open source irrlicht\newton framework. Its name is IrrNewt. it is OOP. It not only contains functions wrapped from newton but also functions wrote by me. It's a full framework to easily integrate physics in your project. Here is a short list of its most important features:

-body with primitive collision (ellipsoid ,box, cylinder, cone, capsule)

-optimized tree collision body (addOctTreeSceneNode)

-optimized tree collision body based on terrain (addTerrainSceneNode)

-simple vehicle

-character controller

-raycast functions for collision detection (getCollisionPoint, getCollisionPoints,getFirstCollisionPoint) all of these use newton

-materials (including materials user defined functions callbacks, for example call a user define function when two materials is colliding (but you can decide to don't write any callbacks) . It is possible also assign the same material to lots of different bodies

-automatic calculation of lots of thing (primitive dimensions, tensor of inertia, tire width and radius, body-scene node position offset if in your model file the model is not centered (for example has feet at 0,0,0)exc..)

-camera physics (automatic calculation of the target)

-doesn't need newton user defined callbacks

-tree body serialization\deserialization (save and load a tree body from\to a file)

-create a body by simply pass the scene node (and the mesh for tree bodies)

-can show newton body as a wireframe rappresentation

Links

IrrNewt home page

IrrNewt 0.3 sdk IrrNewt 0.3 SDK download - platform indipendent size: ~4.7 mb
Last edited by white tiger on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
white tiger

Postby schick » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:42 pm

Hey,

thanks for the nice framework. I just playing around with it a bit. There are some things id like to mention:

C++ related:
1. use abstract interfaces
2. dont make this framework a lib (everyone should add the sources to her/his project and will be fine)
3. be more carefull in comparing signed and unsigned ints

Newton related:
1. add some functions to the World like World::close(), World::dropAllBodies()
2. dont use glut for timing since you are using Irrlicht anyway (it has already a timer ITimer)

If i find more things, i let you know.

Very much thanks for the framework.

Cheers, Friedrich
schick

Postby white tiger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:12 am

thanks for the nice framework

use abstract interfaces

abstract interfaces require that all member function are virtual and this is slower that non virtual functions. I think that abstract interfaces are useful when an interface require multiple implementations, but in IrrNewt there is one implementation for every interface

dont make this framework a lib (everyone should add the sources to her/his project and will be fine)

simply don't add "dll_exports.hpp" to your project and write "#define ARES_API" somewhere (i change its name in the next release to IRRNEWT_API)

add some functions to the World like World::close(), World::dropAllBodies()

this wil be in the next release :D

dont use glut for timing since you are using Irrlicht anyway (it has already a timer ITimer)

version 0.11 use already the ITimer interface to calculate time step (pass 1.0f/(last_time-current_time) to newton )

If i find more things, i let you know

Regards
white tiger

Postby white tiger » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:08 am

0.3 released
white tiger

Postby chocopie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:30 am

i'm doing the same thing now, where can i download the source? i think it will help a lot, and reduce many of hardcode work. is it open source anyway?
thanks
chocopie

Postby Vsk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Take a look at the irrlicht post for irrnewt, in the lastest pages 17-18 there is a link where I re-upload this wrapper.
I think we can recompiled and better for the next newton version , what do you think?
Vsk

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Ok guy I deleted all of the post starting from my own, before the thread go out of hand.
It was my fault the thread got derailed, I should have known better.
Thank you for the support to everybody, but it is better to just focus in Netwon issues.

About IrrNewt, I did not read the hold thread over the Irrlith forum because it is too long, I just read the last few pages and I can only say that if White Tiger wants to get an eally start he can make a post in this thread or send me a PM.
Julio Jerez

Return to User Gallery