Silent Depth - a submarine online game

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Silent Depth - a submarine online game

Postby Xaron » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:24 am

Hi all,

I work on a new game based on Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt):

Silent Depth

Silent Depth will be most comparable with Archimedean Dynasty with the difference that it will be a multiplayer only game. The main focus is the simulation aspect, it shall not become a pure shooter like Aquanox...

The underwater world of Silent Depth will be persistent. Every player has to create an account and can play using this account by logging in. Every actions the player take will be saved - the aqua world continues, even if the player is not logged in (I don't want to use the term "MMORPG" here ;) )

Every player starts with an old rusty ship. You may trade a little bit or do some fights to get some money which you can spend to get a better ship or equipment. There will be several stations where you can repair and equip your ship as well as take a look for some jobs.

An important thing will be crafting and trade skills. Every player can (but doesn't have to) learn some trade skills to gather some resources or produce better weapons. There will be skill points who allow the players to produce better and better things with the time.

Currently technical components are ready, but the complete content as well as most of the multiplayer parts aren't in yet. The current status is a small tech demo, which is already playable. A very first multiplayer version shall be launched by the end of this year. :)

The further development will take some more years, but I want to add the features over the time to get some community feedback which is very important. :)

Regards - Xaron
Silent Depth - a multiplayer game
Xaron

Postby Phantom » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Looks very nice so far!

Keep up the good work and good luck :-)

cheers,
Paul.
Phantom

Postby Xaron » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:46 am

Thank you, Paul! :)

I'll do my best.

Regards - Xaron
Xaron

Postby Zarkow » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 pm

Holy christ, I spent last month doing a techdemo on the exact same thing. :S

O-well, guess there is room for everyone. =)
Zarkow

Postby Xaron » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:48 am

Hehe, could you please show it if it's ready? ;)

Of course there is enough room - these underwater things are not soo common these days.

Currently I work on the multiplayer part using RakNet...

Regards - Xaron
Xaron

Postby Zarkow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Not any cool screen-shots, no, mainly worked on code sofar.

Using Delphi and ICS lib for net, which means essentially that I write all the middleware too, as it's a raw lib not aimed for gaiming per say. =)

(Besides, it's great training to have to handle everything regarding the net-traffic yourself on the small projects, before having to take hard decisions on commercial projects later on.)
Zarkow

Postby JernejL » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:11 am

The image is quite dark, but i brightened it, and it seems very nice, perhaps an external view would be better. For some reason it reminds me of star trek bridge commander.. but the concept seems good, would be fun to add some neat WW2 music and damage effects, such as glass cracking and water flodding :lol: :lol:
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Return to User Gallery