Meaaov Newton Handler

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Meaaov Newton Handler

Postby Stucuk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Note: This is for Delphi

The Newton Handler basicaly is designed to assist engines that use Plugins. It is basicaly a class which is passed from the DLL to an app as a pointer. The Class basicaly points to the newton.dll's functions and procedures allowing you to have Newton only loaded once, but can easily pass all of the functions/procedures to any dll/exe.

The NewtonHandler_Unit.pas allows APP's/DLLs to use the newton Procedures/Functions as they normaly would when including NewtonImport.pas . Basicaly u send it the NewtonHandler and it sets the list of Functions/Procedures to point to the newton dll, allowing you do just do NewtonCreate() insted of NewtonHandler.NewtonCreate().

Note: This is only rearly useful if your Engine uses plugins which can use Newton. This is also the first build.

Source
Binary (Note: ModelEditor.Exe the main app uses Sascha Willems's glPrimitives as a means to test the NewtonHandler works, this will be removed in future builds)

Note: Yes i know the modeleditor.exe doesn't edit models.... it will one day... just using it to test the engine currently.
Stucuk

Postby aidave2 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:49 pm

i dont get it

are you saying Newton.dll is loaded more than once without your tool?
aidave2

Postby Dave Gravel » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:10 pm

I think it is similar to this.
http://www.basegraph.com/bg/tutorials/e ... tools.html

Or I don't understand hehe.
Dave Gravel

Postby Stucuk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:24 pm

The Newton Handler is for Engines that work on a Plugin system.

For example currently with Meaaov the VBSP.dll, W3D.dll and MODELS.dll could use Newton. If all 3 used newtonimport.pas then u would have 3 copys of newton loaded. The NewtonHandler dll stops this and makes it so u only have 1 copy loaded.

In the example above all 3 DLL's would get a pointer to the NewtonHandler, which would be used to setup the NewtonHandler_Unit. Newton.dll would only be loaded once by the NewtonHandler DLL.

Basicaly NewtonHandler is a load of pointers which point to the Newton's functions and procedures and is passed to anything that needs it.

As i keep saying, This is for engines which use Plugins which can use newton. Its unlikly anyone will find this useful but just in case iv posted it.
Stucuk

Postby aidave2 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:11 am

oh ok ... thats interesting
thanx

8)
aidave2

Return to User Gallery