Walaber's Trampoline v1.0 [released]

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby walaber » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

WOW! I didn't know about that review! that's really cool!

funny that they didn't put it on the disc becuase it's "full of copyrighted music", when I got permission for all of the tracks in the game :)

that's really exciting though, I need to get my hands on a physical copy of that issue!!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby walaber » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:24 pm

another cool review on Fun-motion, a physics-games review blog.

http://www.fun-motion.com/physics-games/walabers-trampoline/
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:17 pm

It looks like in Europe magazines are more opened to review free and indie games that in united state.
It seem that the reviewer and some people in that blog really like it, it says it have commercial value which is good. :D
Julio Jerez

Postby Stucuk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:40 am

It looks like in Europe magazines are more opened to review free and indie games that in united state.

PC Gamer (UK) changed sometime this year(or last... Definatly not b4 2005), basicaly near the back of the mag they added "Extra Life" pages. Pnumbra (or how ever its spelt) and Walabers Trampoline were found on the 'downloads' bit which has free 'community' stuff, there is also mod news, DIY, longplay and culutre.

Also on every PCG (UK) CD/DVD is some indi downloads (there is always some), tho thats been going on for years now.

P.S Yes Buy PCG (UK) Best mag on the planet.
Btw: Both, Punumbra and Walaber's Trampoline were found on the First 2 pages of the 'Downloader' section. (There is about 4 pages in each issue)

funny that they didn't put it on the disc becuase it's "full of copyrighted music", when I got permission for all of the tracks in the game

But did you actualy place in some easy to read place that you had permission to use the music?
Stucuk

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:59 pm

somebody showed me these two videos of walaber trampoline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJNiEnpCrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_zxZlgtps

very funny :D
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:31 am

yeah, the game manual explains about the music, and gives links for each of the bands...

julio- those videos are hilarious!! thanks!
walaber

Postby Dr_D » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:35 am

I liked those videos too man. There were a couple of moves that made me go OUCH! :lol:

Congrats Walaber! :P
Dr_D

Postby Gernot » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:26 am

Awesome work, man! How did you model the trampoline? Is it one soft block or a set of ball-socket connected blocks?
Gernot

Postby matibee » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:40 pm

Another happy (UK) review for you:

PCFormat is a relative of PCGamer I believe.

I remember seeing posts about this quite a while ago on these boards but I don't stop by very often these days. I knew straight away what game it was when I saw it in the magazine. Nice Job!

Merry Xmas all!
- Matt

PS. I throw out my old PCFormat mags (well, I leave them for the recycler!) I'd be ahppy to post you this issue if you want it and struggle to get hold of it.
matibee

Postby walaber » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:03 pm

I would LOVE to get a copy of this! I will PM you my address if you are still willing to send it to me!

in other news, I hooked up a Nintendo Wii remote control to my PC yesterday, and wrote a little GlovePIE script to make it control Trampoline.

the results were pretty cool! check out the you-tube link or my blof for more info!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L0hpMLxetA

http://walaber.blogspot.com
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Hey Walaber is that you in the video?
You are collecting quite a library of reviews from your games. :D

In this last review the reviewer was kind of tuff on the art. He thinks you are a game company all by yourself, and I think it is very good he say that and do not give you a pass by not saying it is because it is and indie game, Instead he say what he would like to see, I like that.

I think it is good that they apply the same criteria to the amateur games that they apply to professional developers.
I am real tired of this “affirmative action mentality” that reviewers are using to disqualify the work of amateur games from the get go.
Almost like they are making us a favor by reviewing an amateur product.
They usually say “this is very impressive considering it is an amateur product”, as if talent was only a virtue of professionals.
I wish they stop mentioning, “this is a Indies or amateur game” and review games as a game period.

Not tat I am complaining, by I noticed a trends in these reviews, it almost like they are apologizing for saying that an indie effort is as good or better than a professional game.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:13 am

yeah that's me in the video :)

today I hooked up my Wii remote through a library so that I can access the data directly from code, instead of using an input simulator (like GlovePIE)... Check out the video link to see the results. With this code (which took about 2 hours), I could already make a Marble Madness / Super Monkey Ball clone using Newton + the Wii remote VERY easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNqz68I5wk
walaber

Postby The unProfessional » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:29 pm

Nice, that looks excellent!

Questions! Was it trivial to get the wiimote hooked up to the PC? Any good articles on how to do it? Where'd you find the library for interfacing?
The unProfessional

Postby Thomas » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:32 pm

hm... interesting video (the one which uses the direct data)...

so far i have only seen videos where the wii controller looked quite unresponsive (also if used with the wii like supposed) but in your video it looks better.

do you think if you had for example 4 wii controllers and sticked them to your upper and lower legs with some sticky tape, that they could be used for motion capturing (recording walk cycles,...)? :)
Thomas

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Thomas wrote:do you think if you had for example 4 wii controllers and sticked them to your upper and lower legs with some sticky tape, that they could be used for motion capturing (recording walk cycles,...)? :)

I guess that if that idea works you can call it the por man motion capture machine :D
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery