GEKvX Engine

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

GEKvX Engine

Postby XycsoscyX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:37 am

I have been using Newton for a while with my engine, but finally have had the time to release something more substantial. I have been working more on the physics and will hopefully have even more soon. So far, I have some basic objects, chains, and doors, implemented. I don't have a precompiled binary, but I do have a full source code release for the project. I have been focusing more on the graphics and rendering lately, but I have finally gotten back to the physics and interaction. I will be updating the demo and posting things as they come, so I figured I'd post here and see what people think.

You can get the demo from my homepage, http://www.hourglassdesign.net, under the Engine link on the menu. The demo is a full source release, but I have not posted a binary release yet (currently I am using textures from Doom III, but I want to find textures that I can freely distribute for a binary release). I have instructions on how to extract the resources from Doom III if you already own it, though. Like I said, though, this is a full source release, including the code for the Logic module which uses Newton.

Currently, I am working on a full rehaul of the engine, this has allowed me to better integrate Newton into the logic part of the engine. In the demo, you can press Space to place a brick (the position being traced through the scene and placed at the first hit), and Left Control to fire a brick (from the current location). The chains are fully dynamic using the ball/socket joint, the door is linked using two hinge joints, and the bricks/crates are rigid bodies that interact with everything else.

Next step is to implement character control using Newton, then I want to expand the level a bit to show off more things (I want to add water reflections with a pool, along with bouyancy for objects in the pond).

Lastly, great library! A while ago when I was looking into implementing physics into my engine, I looked at many different libraries. Newton has been more then appropriate for everything I have needed in the engine so far, and I'm barely even using anything in it (but I will, oooooh but I will!!). Great job all, can't wait for future releases to see what they offer.
XycsoscyX

Postby aidave2 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi

That looks really neat but ... too much work to install!
Perhaps a simple ZIP of the final setup would be best.
aidave2

Postby XycsoscyX » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:23 pm

Yes, I do plan on having a binary release, but like I said, I am using Doom III textures and shaders ATM, and I don't want to redistribute those. Sadly, I haven't found any resources for diffuse textures and normal maps that I can use (and am not an artist myself, sadly).

It will run without the textures, though (and still look pretty kool), though you might need to disable shadows as the light sources use a non-shadowing sphere around them (and without the shaders, the engine won't know it's non-shadowing). Once I get textures that I can redistribute, I will post a binary release of the demo.
XycsoscyX

bahhh....your link do not work !

Postby mogli » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:45 am

the link crashed my browser :?:
mogli

Postby danharibo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:10 pm

use flash menus! or dhtml
if(bored==true)
self->sleep();
danharibo

Postby XycsoscyX » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:27 pm

I finally have a binary release available of the demo, with some textures so it looks how it's supposed to look. :) The demo is linked on my site, under the Engine section, but here's a direct link.

http://www.hourglassdesign.net/demos/GEKxDemo.zip

Just extract it and run the system.exe file located in the Release directory. Leave the Data and Save directories blank to use the default (the directory local to the executable itself), and enter Test as the game module (it's the only module available currently).

In the demo, you can use the mouse to look around (a bit rough at the moment), and arrows or WASD to move. Press L-Control or Left Click to fire a brick, and Space or Right Click to place a brick (it traces a ray, finds the first hit, and places the brick there).

In the system.cfg located in the Release directory, you can enable or disable Shadows, Fog, and Mirrors (just added those). Keep in mind that those are a bit complex and not optimized yet, so you'll need a nice system to enable all those at once (though one at a time seems to yield decent performance). Currently, I have the framerate fixed to 10 FpS because it simplifyed things considerably, so in case you're wondering why it's not pumping out 400 FpS, that's why. :D
XycsoscyX

Postby XycsoscyX » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm

Also, the menu is something I threw together when I was helping a friend with her Java homework, and I just liked how it looked. If it doesn't work, then I really dunno why. It's pretty simple, but I'll see about implementing something better soon. Does anyone know of a stable dynamic bump mapping menu that I can use?
XycsoscyX

Postby The unProfessional » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:20 pm

:-\

System: Unable to Load Video Library
File: IGEKSystem.cpp
Line: 109

Specs:
P4 3.4Ghz
2GB Ram
Geforce 7800 GT 256MB
The unProfessional

Postby kallaspriit » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:52 pm

Got the same problem :P
kallaspriit

Postby XycsoscyX » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:31 am

Did you extract everything, preserving the directory structure?

Demo
- Data
- Release
-- plugins
-- system
--- audio (DS.dll)
--- input (DI.dll)
--- video (Direct3D.dll)

Also, if you edit system.cfg, make sure to leave the [video], [audio], and [input] sections alone, change those settings via the opening dialog. The engine will look for it's system dll's in a relative directory (for video, it looks for .\system\video\[video:module].dll).
XycsoscyX

Return to User Gallery