Penumbra (The Hatch) Demo Released!

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:39 pm

I am reading this right, is this a printed magazing article? :D

I told you, it seem the reviewer is thinking the same thing I was thinking.

My voice do not carry any weight, but if this is a magazine review, maybe my comment was off, and good things may happens to your group sooner than I statimated. :D.
I just keep kicking ass. :shock:

This kind of refreshing news give me the motivation to continue improving the engine, because I know it is not in bane.
Julio Jerez

Postby Electron » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:47 am

Yezide which month's issue of PC Gamer is that? If its the US version its either not out yet or I somehow missed it
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
Electron

Postby Yezide » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Electron: Got it from a forum member, he said it was from the same issue that had a Bio Shock preview.
Yezide

Postby Electron » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:27 pm

Then I have yet to get it.

*waits eagerly*
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
Electron

Postby Sury » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:23 pm

Yezide wrote:I hope u don't think I am bragging too much but this was just too cool.

Scan from PC Gamer (US version I think):

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/b04e9b1c6e.jpg

:D

Well the second game doesn't really deserve to be mentioned in the same article along with your game, since it uses Q3, looks and feels like Q2, and runs like Q4 ;)
Sury

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Another 'review' in UK PC-Zone October, page 108 - congrats (again!) :)
Aphex

Postby walaber » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:51 am

congrats! that was a very positive article. :D
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Yezide » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:13 am

Aphex wrote:Another 'review' in UK PC-Zone October, page 108 - congrats (again!) :)

Awesome thanks :D If anyone can scan the article I would be very happy :)
Yezide

Postby CyKo74 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:46 am

Hello from Russia!

Got local magazine few days ago and guess what i found on disc/in mag?

Btw, the game is great! Honestly, i didnt expect it to be THAT atmospheric/interactive effect o.O
CyKo74

Postby walaber » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:04 pm

I saw that Penumbra has also been entered into the IGF! good luck!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Stucuk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:36 pm

Yezide wrote:
Aphex wrote:Another 'review' in UK PC-Zone October, page 108 - congrats (again!) :)

Awesome thanks :D If anyone can scan the article I would be very happy :)

(Yes i know writing is not a scan but anyway. Note its on page 106 not 108. Ignore the bad spelling, etc. Trying to speedtype. Note: Bold highlighting added by me, rest is like the article, i.e the italics)

Penumbra
The basement of death

Your dad dies and leaves you a key to a safe deposit box which contains stuff thats leads you to Greenland where you immediately get lost in a terrible storm and end up hypothermic and close to death, so you take shelter under some rocks in the middle of nowhere and find a metal door. It leads to a bunker. You go in and its haunted.
Worst. Day.Ever.
Penumbra is all about atmosphere, and its highly impressive engine and sound certainly do a good job in that reguard. What's more, the physics system - dubbed Newton Game Dynamics - is not only impressive but brilliantly implemented. The familure hand icon lets you grab things (boxes,doors, drawers, etc), but once gripped you move them by dragging the mouse in whatever direction is necessary. It's far better than the one step-removed 'gesture' systems of Fahrenheit, or Black & White, and much more satisfying than the usual click-to-activate 'interactivity' of most FPS games. You move things about in entirely intuitive ways, tracing the arc you want with the mouse. It certinly adds something to the 'build a way round the problem' that even the mighty Source engine fudges with its mysteriously floating objects. In fact, with all the credit to Frictional Games, we wouldn't be upset to see similary inspired control in some of the other supposidly cutting-edge, physics-enabled shooters.
Not that this is rearlly a FPS. It focuses on multi-solution problem solving(block steam, turn it off or find a way round, for instance), item collecting and spooky scares. It might not sound wildly original - and the Doom III/Resedent Evil/Silent Hill infulences and plain to see - but it does what it does impressivly well.

------------------

LOL, nice bit about Source Engine's physics suc.king. Btw its also on the CD/DVD according to the mag.
Stucuk

Postby tomek » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:09 pm

tomek

Postby Yezide » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:50 pm

CyKo74:
What mag was this? Just wanna make sure it is on our media coverage list. Also, glad you like the game :)

walaber:
Thanks! A lot of good games this year so competion will be hard. Any other newton based games entering? I saw Gang Wars in the list at least.

Stucuk:
Which mag was that quote from? It is no PC Zone since I have a scan of that.

tomek:
Is that mag called CdAction?
Yezide

Postby tomek » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:25 pm

Yezide wrote:tomek:
Is that mag called CdAction?

Yes :) Have you got it?
tomek

Postby Stucuk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:09 pm

Yezide wrote:Stucuk:
Which mag was that quote from? It is no PC Zone since I have a scan of that.

Hmm misread. Its PC Gamer(UK). Odd coincedence.
Stucuk

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery