Hexapod walk

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Marmakoide » Wed May 03, 2006 9:45 am

Thomas wrote:wow, very cool! i am looking forward to the new creatures. :) (the vlc player (www.videolan.org) played the videos without the need for any codec.)

i am just curious. how far do such evolutionary simulations go currently? what would be possible with the world's fastest super computer for example? i find this very interesting. :)

If I use all the computing power of the lab, I can find how to control any robotic creature in a few minutes of computing, because genetic algorithm are very easy to run on computer cluster. Here it is the steps of my research :
1) Fast evolution of static morphologies (tower, bridges, etc...) on progress
2) Fast evolution of the control for a given morphology (robot) on progress
3) Simultaneous evolution of control and morphology
The videos are the beginning of the point 2). Wit the point 3) I hope I can produce autonomous robots in an automatic way. Robots that could produce robots, robots that could survive in a famous red desert planet, etc... And be, of course the master of the Earth and get my vengeance against.... a well, I will find what after.
"Let's rock baby..."
Marmakoide

Postby grod » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:25 am

Those videos were amazing!

I'm currently working on a similiar project for school, with some kind of walker, or maye even a "jumper" if the chromosomes would be given the time that would take to evolve in that way. =)
Anyway, my problem is that I have a population of about 40-50 chromosomes, and each cycle of simulation is about 3-4 seconds, and I want to let them evolve for something like 200 generations.. That will take too much time to simulate in real-time. Is there any way to simulate the physics with newton faster than real-time?
I was thinking of just render the fittest of all chromosomes in each generation while the program simulates the next generation in the backround.
grod

Postby JernejL » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:54 pm

grod wrote:Those videos were amazing!

I'm currently working on a similiar project for school, with some kind of walker, or maye even a "jumper" if the chromosomes would be given the time that would take to evolve in that way. =)
Anyway, my problem is that I have a population of about 40-50 chromosomes, and each cycle of simulation is about 3-4 seconds, and I want to let them evolve for something like 200 generations.. That will take too much time to simulate in real-time. Is there any way to simulate the physics with newton faster than real-time?
I was thinking of just render the fittest of all chromosomes in each generation while the program simulates the next generation in the backround.

what about you pre-generating genetics and put them into game later?
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Hexapod Walker

Postby bones » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:46 am

The hexapod is brilliant. I'm trying to make a simular model for a game I'm working on but I'm rubbish with joints being new to newton. You could save me alot of time if you could supply maybe a small example program so I can learn how you did it. I don't want to steal any ideas though. :D
bones

Previous

Return to User Gallery