Steam Brigade (found game using Newton)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Steam Brigade (found game using Newton)

Postby walaber » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:46 am

found this game Steam Brigade on the latest post at physics game blog Fun-Motion. they are using Newton in 2D, but the integration of physics into the game is very cool!

please note I did NOT have anything to do with this game, I just found the link and wanted to share it with other Newton users!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Re: Steam Brigade (found game using Newton)

Postby pedestrian » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:43 am

Hey Walaber! You found us!

I was going to sign up and post here this weekend but you beat me to it.

Yes indeedy, we've finally kicked this thing out the door. We're pretty stoked too - got a lot of positive feedback so far.

walaber wrote:please note I did NOT have anything to do with this game...

Not so! Some of your posts on this forum were instrumental to getting this project off the ground. Others too. So, my thanks to you and the rest of the Newton community - you guys are great!

And, of course, many thanks to Julio Jerez and Alian Suero for their excellent physics engine. It's been a pleasure to work with, and such a generous gift to indies everywhere.
Ryan Thom
Pedestrian Entertainment
pedestrian

Postby kallaspriit » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:58 am

Downloaded it and it indeed is quite a lot of fun. Some things could be better though, for example it would be nice if machines (like tanks) if thrown from high altitude would break at fall and if you let them fall on infantary, men getting hit would get killed. Anyway great work and good luck on your project :P
kallaspriit

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:43 pm

Most excellent I just played the three training level and I like a lot.

I see you put the Newton logo on the splash screen. That is not necessary, the license says the logo should on splash screen, and I see how that is telling the message I did not meant to convey. I mean that if you have a credit screen or a screen for thanks, then the logo should be on that screen. In no way we meant that a logo that does not go with looks of the game should be the very first thing the player see when the start the game.
I appreciate you did that, but it really is not necessary as even I was shocked that the very first thing you see is the Newton logo, and that is not right to the players.

You did plenty by adding on the credit screen. And you even add our names as well, thank for that, but if you still have time to remove the first logo, do so.

We are going to modify the license in 1.52 to say the Logo should be in the credit screen not on the splash screen. It should be on the splash screen only if the splash screen is also a credit screen as many small games do.

about the game mechanics is very good and I really like it
Thank for using Newton.
Julio Jerez

Postby Code-R » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:We are going to modify the license in 1.52 to say the Logo should be in the credit screen not on the splash screen. It souldh be on teh splash screen only if teh spach screen is also a credit screen as many small game do.

A very, Very, VERY welcome move. Some Publishers don't go along good with this forced splash screen thing. *wink*
Code-R

Postby pedestrian » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks Julio! We're very encouraged!

Heheh, now the splash screen looks a little empty. :wink:

kallaspriit: The tanks do what you suggest if they land upside-down. Sometimes you can see the Enemy Airship flip your tanks over, so you can learn from him.
Ryan Thom
Pedestrian Entertainment
pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Update: the Tanks and Flak Trucks blow now up if you drop them from far enough. The Tutorial has also been improved.
Ryan Thom
Pedestrian Entertainment
pedestrian

Return to User Gallery