NewtonPlayGround 1.53 (Updated on 22.10.2006)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:17 am

As Walaber said it's very easy to load the scenes, that's how I planed the format from the beginning, and if anything is unclear just ask.

Sharing my loading code wouldn't be of much use. First it's written in Delphi (Object Pascal) and second it's vey dependand on how the NewtonPlayGround works.
Sascha Willems

Postby dazza » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:02 am

Well Walaber was on the right track, :D
I downloaded tinyXML about an hour ago, and now have it starting to parse in one of the NPG XML docs.
(Currently I am only processing the globalsettings node, and extracting the Attributes, but was super easy to do, have now moved onto camerasettings

I am trying to make this Parser as Generic as Possible, and will make it public when complete for all you C++ users out there.

Cheers
Dazza
Darrin Hurd
Programmer
dazza

Postby aidave2 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:51 am

Hi Sascha,

I had an idea for your NewtonPlayground.

What if developers could use it as a tool for their projects?

We could build physical shapes and joints and scenes with NewtonPlayground, then export them to XML files.
Then we could load those files into our projects, to build physical definitions.
Back and forth, like a physical level editor.

What do you think of that idea?

cheers
dave
aidave2

Postby aidave2 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:55 am

i just read thru the thread after i posted and seen this idea mentioned. doh! but still, with some push on the loading side, it could really take off.

perhaps some simple Delphi "NP-XML-import.pas" type file, that creates a list of physical bodies from an XML file. I dunno of the feasibility of this tho...
aidave2

Postby walaber » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:57 am

Newton Playground is pretty much already completely useable as a development tool. you just need to write a parser for the XML format in your engine of choice. that should do it!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby aidave2 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:08 am

walaber wrote:Newton Playground is pretty much already completely useable as a development tool. you just need to write a parser for the XML format in your engine of choice. that should do it!

true

its a big job for all to do (altho it would be a good learning experience) ...
what i suggest is a common loading interface that could be used by all. i dont mean to say Sascha must write it. I think he's done enuf for us already ;)
maybe a small example would help kickstart it tho.
aidave2

Older versions

Postby neemparekh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:51 am

hey sascha great work man ...totally bowled over by the playground...limitless possibilities to think of.

I was wondering if u plan to make this project opensource so that things would move faster (i actually feel google might buy this from u)

I also wondered if someone could upload the older versions of the playground.

Thanks again.
neemparekh

Re: Older versions

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:26 pm

neemparekh wrote: I was wondering if u plan to make this project opensource so that things would move faster (i actually feel google might buy this from u)

No, there are no plans to go open source.

neemparekh wrote: I also wondered if someone could upload the older versions of the playground.

What version do you mean? The one before 1.51? If yes, I'll see if I still have it on one of my backups and then upload it.
Sascha Willems

Postby Sheep » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:13 pm

this is my first post and i'm having a bit of trouble. the menus are cut off
and I can't create any custom objects only random ones does anyone have a solution? picture: Image
Sheep

Postby danharibo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:28 pm

is there a way to use dx, i have an ati card so my gl is not to good
if(bored==true)
self->sleep();
danharibo

Postby JernejL » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:06 pm

danharibo wrote:is there a way to use dx, i have an ati card so my gl is not to good

no, and that is a really bad excuse, i have ati card too, and opengl works fine..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby danharibo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm

well if you visited ogreforums and you would se how many people have gl problems on ati cards,
(oh and gret game, now i don't have to make onE!)
if(bored==true)
self->sleep();
danharibo

Postby JernejL » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:46 pm

i have no problems with opengl on my radeon 9800, doom3 works, quake 4 works, my game works, everything works fine..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby danharibo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm

i cant' make my own models they just crash
if(bored==true)
self->sleep();
danharibo

Postby Sascha Willems » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 pm

OpenGL :
I started development of the NPG on an ATI Radeon 9700 and had no problems with it. ATI's OpenGL Implementation is quiet good, and there are many users out there that use NPG on ATI cards without problems.

Own Models :
Please read the section of the manual where it's described how your models have to be shaped/exported before you can use them in NPG. If you've read that and you're shure that your model is correct for import, upload it somewhere so I can reproduce this. Just telling that your own models don't work is no help.
Sascha Willems

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery