NewtonPlayGround 1.53 (Updated on 22.10.2006)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:59 pm

no bad for poor man tranpoling physics?
I am surpriced it worked at all. :D
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm

this would have been very useful for prototyping my trampoline game :P

great work Sascha!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Dr_D » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:13 pm

Sascha Willems wrote:And here is another video which I just call "Walaber's trampoline for poor people. It shows the skinned ragdoll together with some cheap attempt at a very primitive form of a trampoline.

Can we look at the scene file for that? :D
Dr_D

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:20 am

Although it's not "the real thing" I'll include it in the next release so you can look at it. But it's nothing special, just all the bodies interconnected via a myriad of springs, which can be seen in the video as the green dotted lines, and I also attach an upvector to each of the quads so that they don't turn around.

Edit : Here is the XML for interested people, though it's nowhere near a real trampoline like the one from Walaber's game.
Sascha Willems

Postby Dr_D » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks. :P
Dr_D

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:39 pm

I was playing around and trying out some differen m3d-files to see if they were usable, and one I came across was a cat, so somehow I couldn't resist doing this :

Image Image

And although I'm thinking that it starts to annoy people, here is another video that shows the above scene, but this time it's only 1 MB.

Now hopefully none of the violent PETA-people see this or I may get into serious trouble :wink:
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Sascha forgot to add to the end of the video
All creatures are digital dramatization of real animals, not living animals where hurt during the recording of the video. :D
Julio Jerez

Postby Dave Gravel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Hehe good one.
Nice work Sascha.
Dave Gravel

Postby Shaijan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:09 pm

Hehe
and i thought cats would always land on their feet

nice ;)
Shaijan

Postby walaber » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:50 am

videos of ragdoll cats will never get annoying :P
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby danharibo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 pm

looks Crazy :P
if(bored==true)
self->sleep();
danharibo

Postby Sascha Willems » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Over the last few days I finished the skinned ragdoll implementation into NPG, so they now are fully functional, including shadows and you can do everything with them you can already do with the other bodies (setting materials, adding springs, attaching joints, etc.) and I also made some improvements to the spring implementation, so that you can now connect every kind of body together via springs. So you can even attach a ragdoll to a vehicle and attach another ragdoll and/or vehicle to the already attached ragdoll :)

And since the implementation of the skinned ragdoll is finished I also made a final video before releasing NPG 1.53. This time it shows one of the scenes that'll be in the release. It's a zombie falling down into a "torture tower" (those of you that know the map "DM_Gael" from UT2004 maybe know how this looks). And since the zombie never falls down the same way twice the video also includes two different falls.

Get the video here
This time it's almost 10 MBytes big, due to higher quality and longer duration, format is as usual WMV.

And heres a screenshot too :

And as I said the next NPG-release is ready. I tested all kind of different stuff with the skinned ragdolls to make shure they work and also fixed some other bugs. Now I only need to make some more example scenes for skinned ragdolls and then I'll release it, which should be middle or end of next week.
Sascha Willems

Postby danharibo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:19 am

i don't need an Example, Just the one will please me!!!
if(bored==true)
self->sleep();
danharibo

Postby Sascha Willems » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:13 pm

Uhmm I guess I "lied" in my last post saying "no more video before reelease", but I have some kind of "problem" I'll have to tell you about ;) :
Often in the very late night (it's 2'o clock in the deepest night over here in good old germany, and I started implementing this just 15 minutes ago) I feel the urge to implement something new into my current implementation, and it just happend again.

Something I wanted to add for a long time but somehow always told myself to do it "another day" were magnetic objects (first I wanted to do this via materials, but decided to just do it as an object feature), cause they make up for some interesting "gameplay". And so I decided to finally give them a shot, and sine I already have spring forces in which don't differ too much it took me a mere 15 minutes to get it "hacked" into NPG (hacked because most values are hardcoded and it right now only works on basic primitives). And now guess what you'll get to see in the next video ;)

Obligatory screenie :

And the video is here. It's 5 MBytes in size and WMV encoded.

And although the only things in this video are boring boxes and a big black sphere the magnetic forces create something that looks just freaking awesom, sometims it feels and looks like some monster that comes out of a wave and dissolves again...
Sascha Willems

Postby Sweenie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:20 am

ah, awesome! :D

Add a couple of invisible noncolliding magnetic bodies and move them up and down in a circular motion and you should get a tornado effect ala "Alan Wake". 8)
Sweenie

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery