Stunt Playground v2.0 RELEASED

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Stunt Playground v2.0 RELEASED

Postby walaber » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:58 pm

I just wanted to annouce that after much delay, Stunt Playground 2.0 has finally been officially released. have a look at the game screens below, and then feel free to give the game a download!

those that have the beta make sure you uninstall it before installing this one!

click for 1024x768 screens
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

http://walaber.com
Last edited by walaber on Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Dude I have not idea what you did but it is awesome now, The monster truck even power slide, and made doughnut circles. :D
The sport cars also do power slides, you are going to have to show me what you did man, I am making a physics engine here not a racing game, but IO really want to know. :shock:

The only thing I find a little difficult is that the friction with the props I think is a little too low and teh truck get stuck easilly.
Tell me something are you implementing a differential? I noticed that when the monster truck gets stuck with one wheel in the air, the one in the air spin, while the other do nothing.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:38 pm

Yeah Julio I think what happens is that the RPM is calculated from both wheels, so the 1 wheel spinnig really fast generates an RPM that is really high in the torque curve (which results in low torque), and so the wheel on the ground doesn't get enough torque to push the car.

so yeah, it's like a differential :)
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Thomas » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:50 pm

wow, the video is awesome! i didn't have time to play it yet but i will try later... :)
Thomas

Postby Oziriz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Looks awesome walaber! Like Thomas I only saw the video, just reinstalled Windows XP and don't have the service packs yet and your installer needed them to install (don't know if SP1 is enough or if you gotta have SP2). But the video looks really good, nice job! :D
Oziriz

Postby Dom » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:16 am

very cool. i like the jeep thing because you can easily come back onto wheels or do "last-minute" steering to prevent flipping/falling.

Something strange though is, when you start with a new car it takes some time until the car drives normally ... it's like beeing glued on the ground for some moment... a bit annoying.
Dom

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:45 pm

Dom wrote:Something strange though is, when you start with a new car it takes some time until the car drives normally ... it's like beeing glued on the ground for some moment... a bit annoying.

I think is because the scene comes in fully active so the larger the scene the longer it takes it to come to rest.

Maybe the save funtion should also save the active state of the bodies so if it save acive it will come back active, but if it is sleeping then it oulnd take tike simulation the sentire scen.

just and Idea.
Julio Jerez

Postby Dave Gravel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:54 pm

very nice and a lot of work good work man.
Dave Gravel

Postby madness.productions » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:15 am

awsome game :)
I always wanted to make a game like that. (However I haven't tested it yet).
But I've read about it and I've looked at all the screenshots and it's looking very good.

I've been planning to make a game like this but I wanted to create it with more of a city and a stunt arena like you've created here.

I also like the replay mode, did you get any of these ideas from the game stuntman?

One day when I get alot more time, I plan to make a game similar to this, but more to the street driving and of course the humble stunt arena.

Anyways I'll round this off to saying good work, until the download finishs since it's quite a big file to download via. Dial-Up.

and then I'll write more of a review...
madness.productions

Postby unclepauly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12 am

top stuff as usual, im very jealous.

walaber, which version of newton are you using?

if the latest (1.53) then HOW do you make your terrains without getting the 'convex edge bug'? i notice you are optimizing your terrain - for me this makes the car bobble over the polygon edges as if there is an invisible rock there.

have you EVER had this problem?

i have been struggling with the 'convex edge bug' for ages, and so have a few other people i have noticed. i even used your arena mesh from the old version of SP and i could even reproduce it with that. its really frustrating.
unclepauly

Postby Zarkow » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:57 am

Just when I'm about the give up on Newton [for vehicles, works great on normal things] I found that you have released the source too. Will have to check it out and see if I can learn anything.

Ever had a problem with erronius load-values from the wheels as soon as you have perfomed any jumps? Guess not, since the cars seems (from the movie) to drive nicely. But then again you mentined using an average-value of the wheel-sets, so perhaps you do this for loadvalues too?
Zarkow

Postby walaber » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:02 am

I believe I just used the instantaneous values for load from the tires, which I used for some of the slide coefficients... but that was only in effect when the tire was on the ground... feel free to make use of the source in any way you want!
walaber

Postby madness.productions » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:08 am

Yeh, also as I said before;
I also like the replay mode, did you get any of these ideas from the game stuntman?
madness.productions

Postby Zarkow » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 am

walaber wrote:I believe I just used the instantaneous values for load from the tires, which I used for some of the slide coefficients... but that was only in effect when the tire was on the ground... feel free to make use of the source in any way you want!

Every fysiks-tick the wheels are set based on current data, load being one of them, to calc the slide-parameters.

However, the odd load-values that keeps getting returned from Newton after a jump/sharp slide (so wheels have been lifted on one side and so on) is really badly distorting the setup of having a symetrical car...in the sence that it will always go off-center and try to turn itself, since the wheels have different grip and glide.

If you would grab the load-values to the GUI while running, are they semingly normal there?
Zarkow

Return to User Gallery