Newton and AI demo

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Newton and AI demo

Postby dhenton9000 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:31 am

I'm planning something called an "interactive" graphic novel, using Newton and Irrlicht, which involves displaying graphic novel panels, scrolling text, and game style episodes. Its a machinema (?) type thing, sort of.

I'm working on the game part of the first installment, which involves killing big monsters in space . The monsters use Newton physics and concepts from Opensteer for AI behavior.

Press the 'S' key to change camera views.

Any comments appreciated.

Demo exe and source at:

http://www.s-fonline.com/webhosting/dhenton9000/items/egressdemo.zip
dhenton9000

Postby indiesoft » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 am

It runs great on my machine. Those monsters really mean it don't they :shock: :)

I would say though that I'm using a laptop and the keyboard layout feel's a bit odd(End on right side of keyboard, Del on bottom row) and using a touchpad makes it feel like flying a spaceship while drunk, not that I ever have of course ;)
indiesoft

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:43 pm

I can not unpack the archive, it says it is corropted. :(
Julio Jerez

Postby dhenton9000 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:23 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:I can not unpack the archive, it says it is corropted. :(

That s a bummer!! :cry: Of course it runs okay here.

Its a really great demo because its based on your FAQ topic about steering a ship. Both the space ship you fly and the flying monsters use the technique from the FAQ for applying a local force and torque.

It is a 31 Meg download, that might have something to do with it.
dhenton9000

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:52 am

Oh thanks that was the problem the file was too small.
These monsters remind me a movie I saw when I was a child in witch a submarine is shrunk to the size of a cell and it is injected into the blood stream of a person. They had to fight lots of microorganism as they travel trough the blood channel.
I do not remember the name of the movies now but I though this was a remake. :D
The monsters would be very scary if they weren’t so colorful :shock:

I see that we are having some of the apprentices becoming masters. Very soon I will became the apprentice.

Very nice

Edit:
It that the source of the demo?
Julio Jerez

Postby Robomaniac » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:19 am

The Fantastic Journey, also a good book :)
Stephen Eckenrode
Lead Programmer/Project Head
Centaur Force
Robomaniac

Postby dhenton9000 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:
Edit:
It that the source of the demo?

Yes indeed. Buried in the CNewtonBaseObject is the applyLocalForce and applyGlobalForce of the tutorial, as well as ApplySteerForce, which applies a force and makes an object align with the direction of that force. Its adapted from OpenSteer by Craig Reynolds, of boids fame. Opensteer and Newton are a fantastic AI combination!!!
dhenton9000

Postby Zacpod » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:13 pm

Robomaniac wrote:The Fantastic Journey, also a good book :)

I haven't thought about that flick in ages!

Here's it's IMDB. link.

To stay on topic: Game looks sweet! Can't run it in linux, but the screenie is pretty. :)
I can never think of anything clever to put down here.
Zacpod

Postby Waterman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:33 am

Julio Jerez wrote:...remind me a movie I saw when I was a child in witch a submarine is shrunk to the size of a cell and it is injected into the blood stream of a person. They had to fight lots of microorganism as they travel trough the blood channel.

Us old dogs know that story very well. I've read that companion book (don't recall the author's name), inspired by Jules Verne with his fantastic imagination. Jules Verne is considered to be the father of science fiction, together with H G Wells. He's behind a surprising part of the tales and imagination in our daily life.

From the book, an extract that i recall particularly well: "... a white blood cell sniffed on his knee..." :-)
Things should be described as simply as possible - but not simpler [A. Einstein]
Waterman

Return to User Gallery