Project Mystery [Final Beta 2, Update 1]

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Do you think the car physics are better in this release than in previous?

Yes
19%
Yes
19%
No
4%
No
4%
Don't know
27%
Don't know
27%

Total votes : 26

Postby Oziriz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:03 pm

:D
My best time is 01:57 for mission 2, anyone can beat that? Without any sort of cheating, that is... Pressing F3 so you spawn next to the first marker is considered cheating! :P
If you get a better time, lemme know...
Oziriz

Postby walaber » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:52 pm

very nice! the game played very well for me too. keep up the good work!!
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby JernejL » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:22 pm

very nice, here is my experience:

- textures look really ugly with greenish artifacts
- the car behaves nicely, but it is floating above ground
- the car collision mesh looks like it is a box, try convex hull or compound made of spheres.
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Oziriz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:30 pm

Here we go, some constructive criticism! Thanks, here are my replies:

Textures? That might be something on just your computer... Does anyone else get this? Wanna show a screenshot?

Car floating, I ofcourse forgot to fix that for the release again. :roll:

Car collision mesh, yup, it's a box! Convex hull or spheres are what I'm gonna go with, I'm considering spheres because it should be faster, I'm gonna have many cars visible at the same time in later versions! :)
Oziriz

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Textures looks fine on my machine.
I woudl go with teh convex hulls (much efficient)
Is there any reason why you are not using 1.5?
Julio Jerez

Postby Oziriz » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:03 pm

Actually, Julio, there is... The reason being that I didn't feel like remaking the car physics in 1.5, and some weird sliding of the car that seemed to occur randomly. I may have a further look into it for Beta 3 though... :P
Oziriz

Postby JernejL » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:42 pm

Oziriz wrote:Here we go, some constructive criticism! Thanks, here are my replies:

Textures? That might be something on just your computer... Does anyone else get this? Wanna show a screenshot?

Car floating, I ofcourse forgot to fix that for the release again. :roll:

Car collision mesh, yup, it's a box! Convex hull or spheres are what I'm gonna go with, I'm considering spheres because it should be faster, I'm gonna have many cars visible at the same time in later versions! :)

here is how it looks, if you look into skybox textures you can see huge difference and artifacts, this is from a radeon 9800 card.

[/list]
JernejL

Postby Oziriz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:24 am

Same card I'm running, and, I might know what it is... I got this problem when I got the Omega drivers, and when I looked further I noticed that sometimes when you upgrade drivers or change to Omega drivers, it changes the default texture quality to "good" or whatever it is, if you know how to change it in properties try to change it to the absolutely best one, you won't lose any speed due to this in any game really... If this doesn't help, try running the game in DirectX rather than OpenGL. (DirectX support is still very much under development, it's faster but you often see graphical artifacts with it) to do this, open the config.cfg file (with Notepad) and change the line "driver 0;" to "driver 1;". If this doesn't help, I'm not sure what's up. Hope you'll get it to work! :D
Oziriz

Postby JernejL » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:42 am

thats strange, all my texture settings are set to quality and i use ati drivers + ati tray tools, and yes in DX mode textures look much better, no idea why..
JernejL

Postby Oziriz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:48 am

Quality is the "bad" setting, I use ATI Tray Tools too... Try changing to "High Quality", and remember to change it for OpenGL and not just DirectX. :) That SHOULD solve it, if not you can try by changing to DirectX in the config file.

EDIT:
I was testing a bit, and reducing the quality of the textures to "Quality" in OpenGL rather than "High Quality" caused the game to look just like that. However, this is not the case with DirectX, so if you don't wanna change quality for whatever reason you can change game driver to DirectX instead.
Oziriz

Postby JernejL » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:02 pm

Oziriz wrote:Quality is the "bad" setting, I use ATI Tray Tools too... Try changing to "High Quality", and remember to change it for OpenGL and not just DirectX. :) That SHOULD solve it, if not you can try by changing to DirectX in the config file.

EDIT:
I was testing a bit, and reducing the quality of the textures to "Quality" in OpenGL rather than "High Quality" caused the game to look just like that. However, this is not the case with DirectX, so if you don't wanna change quality for whatever reason you can change game driver to DirectX instead.

now this is good to know, i never thought that would degrade the quality that much, since i am working only with opengl. maybe it could be a bug in ati tray tools, and also this is strange, because in my game the quality looked good.
JernejL

Postby Oziriz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:37 pm

I wouldn't blame Tray Tools for this, it's just in my game that this happens for some reason, no idea why! Good thing you got it to work though. :)
Oziriz

Postby Oziriz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Well, I want to post a small update for beta 2, because I have no idea at all when I'll be ready with beta 3, may be very long. Here's an update, it basically fixes the floating car and then it also uses a convex hull for the car. (Thanks to Delphi for pointing the bugs out)

http://rapidshare.de/files/12267452/Update.exe.html (182 kB)
Download this only if you already have Final Beta 2 installed, if not just download it, the links are updated for it!
Oziriz

Previous

Return to User Gallery