The Hatch, technology demo

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Yezide » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:28 pm

UPDATE:

Here is a litte simple test with a robot arm. Nothing of this is hardcoded, joints are setup in maya, controllers in an entity file and then som code is added to a level script.

http://picard.hgo.se/~thehatch/files/hatch_simple_robot_arm20060123.avi
Yezide

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Outstanding, you have a Maya exporter that can export that?
That really increases the productivity when working with joints.
I cannot wait to see it with more meaningful art, but I can see the potential already.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 am

very, very cool!! :D :D
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Sury » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Looks nice, especialy exported from Maya ! :)
Sury

Postby JernejL » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:23 pm

I really wonder that you are actually building, these demos show some original approaches to environment interraction, really genius :)
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby Yezide » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:37 am

Yet another update, this time it is an updated version of the first demo, among the additions are joint motors, better interaction and deadly objects :) Plus u'll also get a sneak peak of an enemy model.

http://picard.hgo.se/~thehatch/files/hatch_tech_demo20060207.mov

Hope ye like it :)
Yezide

Postby Assembler » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:01 am

woa!
i can't speek english good enough to describe it!
it is awesome man!

when will you release the demo? please soon!
Programming is just for 15 year old boys! Not for grown ups! :)

http://www.celement.de (currently german only)
Assembler

Postby Sascha Willems » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:51 am

That video was just awesome. I must admit that this is the best physics integration into gameplay I saw up to now. This is so much better than the simple physics-puzzles from Half-Life 2 or the poor physics in Doom 3 and other current titles.

Can't wait for a demo to try this out. Are you planning to go commercial with this? I think if you could make this a full-priced commercial game, then many people finally would realize how realtime physics in a modern game really should be like.
Sascha Willems

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:21 am

Wow this is really nice.
I do not know if people notice but when the second drawer is open the item inside move :D .
I really like how this is coming long.
Last edited by Julio Jerez on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julio Jerez

Postby Yezide » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks for the kinda words :)

when will you release the demo? please soon!

When some more bugs have been smashed, I'll get something up to be tested.

Are you planning to go commercial with this?

That is the plan, gonna try to find a publisher as soon as we get some nicer graphics in the game.
Yezide

Postby Haddd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:07 am

Fantastic!!! Good idea!!
Haddd

Postby Yezide » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:59 am

Time for a little update.

The game (now renamed to Penumbra) has entered the Swedish Game Awards and with the deadline only a month a way all memebers of the team are working really hard. If all goes good we will release the compettion demo to the public aswell.

I just finnished the ground work for the ai and wanted to show what it looks like and how it physically interacts with the world:

http://picard.hgo.se/~thehatch/files/penumbra_ai_test.avi

The sounds are only temporary and so is the texture on the little monster :)

Hope you enjoy.
Yezide

Postby Assembler » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:04 am

urg, what a mean monster!
Programming is just for 15 year old boys! Not for grown ups! :)

http://www.celement.de (currently german only)
Assembler

Postby vectrex » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 am

cool, looking really groovy. I'll tell you the best FPS moment I've ever had. It was in the failed Trespasser dinosaur physics based FPS game from years ago. I had a gun and a small dino was running up behind me and lept at me, I spun around, but I couldn't point my gun directly at it because it was in the way, so I was blasting, desperately trying to back up to give the gun room, it was awesome :)
True physics in FP games (not halflife 'physics') are really great I think. To be honest trespasser is the only FP game I've ever played that actually used real physics, it'd be worth getting it off the underdogs site and be amused :) (it was WAY too ambitious for the time though :wink: )
vectrex

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:35 am

Wow what scary feeling, what was that a cross of a dolfin and a vampire for the castle of Nosferatus?
I love when the moster kick down the door
vectrex wrote:cool, looking really groovy. I'll tell you the best FPS moment I've ever had. It was in the failed Trespasser dinosaur physics based FPS game from years ago. I had a gun and a small dino was running up behind me and lept at me, I spun around, but I couldn't point my gun directly at it because it was in the way, so I was blasting, desperately trying to back up to give the gun room, it was awesome :)
True physics in FP games (not halflife 'physics') are really great I think. To be honest trespasser is the only FP game I've ever played that actually used real physics, it'd be worth getting it off the underdogs site and be amused :) (it was WAY too ambitious for the time though :wink: )

Wow what a small world, Trespasser was the game that turn me from graphic programmer to been a physics programmer.
When I saw the first demos at e3 I when back saying I got to do that I decided that I was going to change the way I was doing physics to a more systematic oriented way.
So I started studding Baraff paper. Little did I know that so many people started doing the same thing.

It was too bad the game was not at the level of the technology and the industry dismissed with out giving it the proper credit, but I totally agree with you Trespassers was way ahead of its time and one of the very few game that really instroduced a new idea to game. I still thing is by far way better than HL2, on the very least it is original.
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery