Virtual Reality Chat and Newton

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Virtual Reality Chat and Newton

Postby boto » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:18 am

hi,

we have released the first version of Virtual Reality Chat (VRC). you can walk around in the virtual reality and chat with others enjoying Newton physics.

download the package and read the included readme file:

ftp://yag2002.homeftp.org/demos/VRC-physics+gui.zip

be aware that you need openAL drivers which you can download in 'misc' folder of the ftp.

for more details on the project see http://yag2002.sf.net

btw: we search for further project memebers, in particular for programming physics (c++). if somebody is interested then drop me a line.

cheers
boto
boto

Postby boto » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:09 pm

the new VRC version has enhanced player physics and provides a nice island with lot vegetation and is surrounded by water.

get it here:

http://yag2002.sf.net

cheers
boto
boto

Postby aidave2 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:07 pm

wow this looks really cool!

I'm building a similar app using networked newton physics, kinda wish I found this earlier ;)

Some questions:

How are your newton physics synced?
How does the client send the physics info to the server, does it send position data, or impulse data.

I'm not sure how to connect to a server... it says Cannont connect. Is there an IP to connect to, or find a list of servers?

cheers
dave
aidave2

Postby boto » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:39 am

hi aidave2,

for physics syncing i send position updates over network, other clients use a sort of dead-reconing in order to interpolate the position changes until the next position update arrival. newton is fully used during this interpolation. if the difference between interpolated and incoming position update surpasses a certain threshold (about 4 meters) then a hard position correction is done which causes a jerk. but this hard corrction happens very rarely, only if the connection gets very bad.

>I'm not sure how to connect to a server... it says Cannont connect. Is there an IP to connect to, or find a list of servers?

are you using version 1.1.0 + Update01? the update is out yesterday, so download and install it. it contains some useful feature additions (read on project site or accompanying readme file).

the default server is always running (vrc.game-host.org), so you should be able to connect. maybe you are behind a firewall, then you may have to open the VRC port.

cheers
boto
boto

Postby aidave2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:54 am

Ok I got the new version (the link above sent me 0.5)

Now it says: OpenThreadsWin32.dll was not found
aidave2

Postby boto » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:16 am

hmm,

i think you did something wrong with intallation. first deinstall any VRC versions and then install 1.1.0 and then Update01. it should work.

cheers
boto
boto

Return to User Gallery