Tank demo (using material callbacks)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby The unProfessional » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:28 pm

So in this case, you wouldn't motorize the chamfer cylinders, but you'd just apply the same friction-only method as Sascha did before?
The unProfessional

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:41 pm

The unProfessional wrote:So in this case, you wouldn't motorize the chamfer cylinders, but you'd just apply the same friction-only method as Sascha did before?

that is correct, the chamfer cylinders are not for controlling the motion, they are for localizing the contacts to a controlled position, basically to generate symmetry among the tank threads contacts and also to reduce the number of contacts.
The motion of the thread is achieved by controlling the contact relative acceleration.
Julio Jerez

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:35 pm

Julio, your idea seemed to be what I was looking for in the first place, but even changing it to that way won't make it work much better, and I reall< don't know why.

I now don't use the convex hull anymore but instead create some chamfers to represent the track and attach them by using a limited slider joint to create a suspension, cause otherwise the tank hops around too much. See this shot how I do it :

(Ignore the convex hull for the thread. It's still there but I have disabled collision between it and all other objects, I only use it to get the position for rendering the tracks at the right place)

So localizing the contacts with the chamfers *seems* to work, but if you take a look at the upper left corner you'll see the different number of contacts for each side of the track (the numbers are so high cause I'm using accumulative time-slicing, and I count the contacts generated by all NewtonUpdate calls, so don't worry about that). So it's almost the same as with the old version that used a convex hull for the track.

So do you know what's causing the different number of contacts, even with this configuration that basicly shouldn't create a different number of contats? Due to the suspension I'm using for the chamfers they all touched the floor in that screenshot, but still different contact count for the two tracks.

If you need a demo for testing/debugging, drop me a line and I'll try to get it up tomorrow. In the meantime I'll try to tweak around a bit more.
Sascha Willems

Postby Stucuk » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:27 pm

If the "Wheel" is over 2 faces(on the divide) of the land does that create one or 2 contacts?
Stucuk

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:40 am

Again I missed this; there is something wrong with me cookies that are making me log twice and not showing new post. It seem random has anybody had that problem?

The idea is not to use joint for each wheel. I think we you sleep of this for now only the SDK is more ready. I have some ideas for the trick. And I am not ready to give up yet. I believe the idea ha lot of potential so let us put it on hold for now.
Julio Jerez

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:06 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:Again I missed this; there is something wrong with me cookies that are making me log twice and not showing new post. It seem random has anybody had that problem?

Try emptying your browser's cache. I sometimes had that problem back in the days when I used IE, but not since I'm using Firefox.

Julio Jerez wrote:The idea is not to use joint for each wheel. I think we you sleep of this for now only the SDK is more ready. I have some ideas for the trick. And I am not ready to give up yet. I believe the idea ha lot of potential so let us put it on hold for now.

OK, so I'll wait until you get ready to take care of that mater. The demo itself is finished, includes 10 tanks and I can easily switch between the chamfer and convexhull-methods.
Sascha Willems

great work sascha!

Postby WEI Wei » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:32 pm

great work sascha!
And I am woking on this filed-very interesting tank.
But unfortunately I have encountered some problems-especially how the tank moves on the terrain realistically. I find the physical model is hard to understand. So coulde you please provide some documents or sourcecode?
Thanks in advance!
WEI Wei

Previous

Return to User Gallery