3Dreams Game Engine :)

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

3Dreams Game Engine :)

Postby twohalf » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:52 pm

Hey everybody, here's my project using NGD. :) I wanted to make a professional-level game engine that would allow the programmer to really visualize what they're working with, so I encapsulated just about everything into objects and created one main Update () function that truly does everything, and here it is on http://www.programexperts.com available for anyone to download and use! (Yea, I know the website needs some updating right now, but I have plans over this summer to change the entire website so keep checking!)
I'm hoping to get more and more people to start using the engine and it's finally fully functional to create games with, but I'll be putting more features, especially with physics, in it soon.

Anyway, to the details:
Basically, the way 3Dreams is designed, from a base engine (implemented in Direct X 9 for now, but an OpenGL port is in development for Windows, Mac, and also Linux) that allows you to generate base 2D, 3D, Font, etc. features of the engine. Then those features contain Rendering settings which you can set.
However, the beauty of 3Dreams comes in its ability to apply gravity, take care of collisions, animate 3D models, generate shadows, and everything within its Update () call, while staying very processing-optimized. Here's a screenshot of an animation running with the shadows being rendered, and the CPU usage on my 1.5 Ghz computer. (Please ignore the memory usage, I was running Visual Studio and a whole lot of other programs at the same time)

There's some sample code available on the website, but the latest tutorial code isn't up yet. I'll be working on getting sample code up soon actually. However, a Wiki for 3Dreams is currently available at http://3dreams.gamecreation.org/
How the rest of the engine works is that you can build objects and level objects from any 3D format that you've parsed in (a 3DS and MD2 importer is going to be implemented soon too) and once you've given 3Dreams the polygons and materials and textures, it automatically creates a collision body (which is where Newton comes in) and so by using that, collisions are taken care of within the Update function (just like NGD's update but on a bigger scale). And since specific collisions will probably want to be checked for, 3Dreams uses an Event system in which you register to 3Dreams certain objects' collisions to your own defined Key ID (e.g. multiple lake-objects all set to Key ID 1) and the same can be done with level objects in which you register level events through passing the specific name of a material in the level and the object created. Hence 3D modelers of your choice are meant to be the main editors for 3Dreams, because most things in 3Dreams can be specified through material names.
These are demonstrated in these screenshots:

And lastly, I also wrapped WinAPI's window creation and message loop to make a Console Application version of 3Dreams, so hopefully people that aren't quite familiar with WinAPI and have a basic sense of C/C++ can use 3Dreams as well because they both work in the same way; one just has the programmer's own window style. There's also a tutorial on the site under "Series" that shows how 3Dreams is used with regular C/C++ (which is probably a bit simpler)

The direct link to 3Dreams is http://www.programexperts.com/3dreams3.htm and there are some development demos available with source code, if anyone wants to check that out.
So, feel free to try it out and give me some feedback! Thanks! (And Newton Game Dynamics Rocks!!!!!)
-Raph
twohalf

Postby Julio Jerez » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:34 am

Ah very nice engine.
I too started as a graphic programmer.
Julio Jerez

Thanks! :)

Postby twohalf » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:15 pm

Thanks! :) I had a feeling you worked with graphics a lot.
Hopefully I'll have some cool games that really demonstrate NGD. :)
twohalf

Return to User Gallery