[WIP] The Newton Trampoline

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby walaber » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:20 am

Walaber's Trampoline
final (?) beta release

this is the "final" beta release of my game "Walaber's Trampoline" before the official release. Basically everything is in and should be working, except for some minor tweaking, and a few missing sound files. I am releasing this beta to get feedback on the game one last time before release.

If you have some time, please download the game, and give it a quick test for me! most of all I want to make sure the game runs on people's systems, and that there are no big crash bugs.

so, without further ado, here is the download link:
PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS VERSION - this is NOT the final release version of the game. thanks :)

:arrow: http://walaber.com/trampoline/TrampolineBeta01.msi <- right-click and choose "save-as" and make sure the extension is .msi
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Yezide » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 am

Runs nicely on my system w a Gefore 6800 GT. Looks very nice and polished but was a bit hard for me when I first tried :) Didn't even manage to complete the first tutorial since I had problems landing on back and stomache correctly. Need to test more later.
Yezide

Postby Sascha Willems » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Awesome work as usual Walaber. Looks nice and polished and plays very well. But after some playing I noticed some bugs (dunno if you already know about them) :

General : The male characters skin is yellow and not textured or so. The female model looks normale
Shot 1 : After some jumping up and down in the tutorial my charcter was stuck under the trampoline and was whipping up- and down with the trampoline. It took around 10 jumps to get unstuck again.
Shot 2 : Don't know if it's actually a bug, but if you jump, flip and do a straight action, the character get's streched in it's height, which looks rather weird.

Other than that it worked very well on my system (Athlon XP 2600+, GeForce 6800), and even made no problems with my usual widescreen-resolution of 1680x1050. I'll play some more later and see if i can finde additional problems/bugs.
Sascha Willems

Postby walaber » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:01 pm

Sascha- thank you very much for the bug report. Were you using the DirectX or OpenGL render system? I have a feeling you were using OpenGL, I've seen the untextured trampoline error before with the OpenGL renderer...

as for getting stuck in the trampoline, I've done a lot to fix it, but it is still possible unfortunately. without completely redoing the trampoline system, I'm not sure there's much I can do about it...
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Dr_D » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:45 pm

EDIT:

Ok... I don't know if you read it the first time, but I needed to update DirectX. It runs now, but when I ran in OpenGL mode, the mouse cursor was stuck in the top left corner. I was unable to move it.
Dr_D

Postby walaber » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:15 pm

thanks for the report. the game needs the latest version of DirectX.

also Sascha, it looks like I missed a texture file, the "Man" doesn't have his base texture working. I will fix this for release, but the game works without it.

I will also check the OpenGL issues as well some more. thanks again.
walaber

Postby Dr_D » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:16 pm

Sorry... I forgot to mention how damn cool this is! The DirectX version works without a hitch. :P
Dr_D

Postby walaber » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 pm

the OpenGL version works fine over here w/ regards to the mouse cursor...

as for the Man texture - it was a typo in the installer setup - rename the "gynmast.png" file in Media\materials\textures to "gymnast.png" and the guy will have a proper texture :D
walaber

Postby Sascha Willems » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:58 pm

I took some more time playing around with it (haven't had much time for playing games lately) and man, this is really polished. Great graphics, great gameplay, many modes and even character advancement. Can't say how your work amazes me.

But I also again noticed some stuff :
Mousecursor :
I forgot to mention it, but as Dr_D I also had this mouseissue, where the cursor was stuck in the upper-left corner of the screen. Seemed to only affect OpenGl-mode, DX works fine.
Bug with score-info on moves :
See this shot :
I think I was doing a seat-drop, and instead of scores (as for the other moves I tried, I'm not able to do some advanced stuff, still training) it showed me the above dummy-text.
Gorilla :
Do I have to unlock him anywhere or such? I can select him in the dropdown, but I don't see a gorilla.

And last but not least some (hopefully) constructive feedback :
Rotating the view :
I don't know if your background-scenarios are made for this, but if possible it would be nice to give the user the possibility to tilt and rotate (at least to a certain degre) the camera, so that one can e.g. play in an isometric view, I think it looks better that way than "just" a view from one side which makes it kinda look 2D.
More polys for the characters :
I find the characters to be a bit edgy, e.g. the arms of the male player. Especially at a high resoultion they look very edgy compared to the rest of the game, so maybe just smooth some edges to make them look better.

That's it for now, hopefully I didn't forget to mention something I noticed (getting old, so I tend to forget stuff ;) )
Sascha Willems

Postby walaber » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:49 pm

thanks again for the input, I really, really appreciate it.

Sascha Willems wrote:I took some more time playing around with it (haven't had much time for playing games lately) and man, this is really polished. Great graphics, great gameplay, many modes and even character advancement. Can't say how your work amazes me.

But I also again noticed some stuff :
Mousecursor :
I forgot to mention it, but as Dr_D I also had this mouseissue, where the cursor was stuck in the upper-left corner of the screen. Seemed to only affect OpenGl-mode, DX works fine.
I'm not sure why this is happening... I will try to reproduce it here.

I think I was doing a seat-drop, and instead of scores (as for the other moves I tried, I'm not able to do some advanced stuff, still training) it showed me the above dummy-text.
thanks, I will investigate some more on that one.

Gorilla :
Do I have to unlock him anywhere or such? I can select him in the dropdown, but I don't see a gorilla.
that was a mistake. the Gorilla isn't unlocked until later, and I accidentally made the Beta with him partially unlocked. it's fixed on my end.

And last but not least some (hopefully) constructive feedback :
Rotating the view :
I don't know if your background-scenarios are made for this, but if possible it would be nice to give the user the possibility to tilt and rotate (at least to a certain degre) the camera, so that one can e.g. play in an isometric view, I think it looks better that way than "just" a view from one side which makes it kinda look 2D.
I've had some other comments on the camera system being too rigid, so I will try to come up with a couple different camera angles that you can play with (and switch on the fly).

More polys for the characters :
I find the characters to be a bit edgy, e.g. the arms of the male player. Especially at a high resoultion they look very edgy compared to the rest of the game, so maybe just smooth some edges to make them look better.
I wish I had more time to make even better models, but I really want to release this game. Perhaps in the future I will update the game with more locations, characters, outfits, etc.
walaber

Postby walaber » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:54 pm

OK I've fixed most of the bugs here on my end... I am just waiting for a few final sounds, and I will package up the game and release it officially.

thanks for the help everyone!
walaber

Postby Dr_D » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:09 pm

Awesome! Can't wait! :D :P
Dr_D

Postby walaber » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:01 am

Official Game Trailer
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8124484411272420403

the game should be ready for release next week if all goes smoothly.
walaber

Previous

Return to User Gallery