[WIP] The Newton Trampoline

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby walaber » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:43 pm

hpesoj thank you for the comments. I agree with most of your complaints/comments, and will do my best to implement them into the game.

With regards to trick-naming, I have used the vocabulary I learned growing up around gymnastics and trampoline, and certainly some of the terms are not "official". I will switch "layout" to "straight position" or something similar, and fix the spelling on the existing tricks. "front drop" does sound better, I will fix that too. I was unaware of the "turnover" term, I'll do some research on that one :)

I agree the overall UI (in-game) could use some sprucing-up. I will add the current goal on-screen, and try to make the trick names and other on-screen text more visually interesting.

I contemplated seat drops for a long while, and while technically very easy to add to the game, I was concerned about the game becoming too confusing for beginner players, as most of the people might already be overwhelmed by the controls. I will give it some thought, though. I know it's the only basic move that is missing.

thanks again for the comments, I hope to make the next release even better (with more game modes, and many improvements to the overall presentation).
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby walaber » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:45 pm

update just a note that this game is not dead... in fact far from it. since the release I have overhauled the in-game GUI to be smoother, and more consistent. I have also added a simple particle system that sets off special effects when you land a big trick.

I have also started modelling on new environments and characters, and have even added spectators to the environments, who watch and cheer/cringe as you play.

lately I've been working on the multiplayer mode, and have done some very successful communication tests over teh wireless LAN at home.

the next release should include at least 1 more environment, and all game modes up and running (story mode, competitions, free play, multiplayer). i will definately need lots of help testing the multiplayer elements in real-world internet situations, so if anyone is interested in helping me with that please let me know, I might need some help before the official next alpha release.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby walaber » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:31 am

i've done some multiplayer test over the internet the past few days, and it's going great. I played with my nephew for about 30 minutes tonight, taking turns watching each other jump on the trampoline and chatting.

I'm getting more and more excited for the next official alpha release, I want to play with all of you online :)
walaber

Postby walaber » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:35 pm

quick gameplay video of the latest build. note the cool particle effects and new improved GUI :D

walaber

Postby walaber » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:30 am

i have been playing around with a Newton splash screen, I thought you guys might be interested in it... I think it's pretty cool :)

VIDEO LINK - Windows Media file, appox 3MB
walaber

Postby Dom » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:22 am

walaber wrote:i have been playing around with a Newton splash screen, I thought you guys might be interested in it... I think it's pretty cool :)

VIDEO LINK - Windows Media file, appox 3MB

coool idea, very nice !
Dom

Postby walaber » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:02 am

basically done with the backgrounds for the game!

click for a larger image!
walaber

Postby Relys » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:36 pm

This game rocks! I've been checking your page every day for months!

Can hardly what to play online with you!

Relys
Relys

Postby aidave2 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:38 pm

hahahahahahahahha

trampoline in a parking lot

thats awesome!!!

:D

tramampoline!
trabopoline!
aidave2

Postby metalmariobros » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:02 pm

Man, I can't keep away from this game. You are an EXCELLENT programmer! :wink:

I'm off to play right now.
As I lie in bed, staring up at the stars, I wonder, "Where is my ceiling?!"
metalmariobros

Postby walaber » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:17 pm

just to let you all know, I am still working on the game. I have finalized the main backgrounds, and have lately been working on the spectators to go in the background. The Stadium now has a large crowd to watch you jump.

I have an artist also making better main character models, so once those are ready, the game should be close to release. :)
walaber

Postby Prime » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:02 pm

I don't know how you people do it, I'm no programer or game developer, I wouldn't know where to start but what your are all doing with Newton is just great :D

I think we are all eagerly awaiting this trampoline game and I'm sad that I missed out on the beta/test version download :cry:
Prime

Postby walaber » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 am

thanks! the game is almost done, just adding a few features, and getting some improved models created. once they are done, I should be able to release the first official version.
walaber

Postby walaber » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:19 pm

it's been forever since I posted an update on this project. I've been pretty busy with life and work, so not a lot of progress has been made on the game. Also I got an artist who is making better character models for me, and since it's a hobby project, it's taking some time.

I recently got his new "male" model all rigged up, and with a first-pass animation... below is a link to a new short video showing the new model in action.

:arrow: on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HylfHaeYtjc

:arrow: direct DivX video link:
http://walaber.com/trampoline/tramp_new1.avi
walaber

Postby vectrex » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:42 am

nice, he looks more 'solid' definately
vectrex

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery