Classic racer

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Classic racer

Postby tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:34 am

Hi. Below you can download short movie from my game.

It shows vehicle joint in action - so take a look what can be achieved with Newton!

http://www.republika.pl/tmreality/demo2.avi

EDIT: in case of problems with downloading just start again - server seems to be overweighted these days.
tomek

Postby Thomas » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:52 am

wow, looks great! ...i guess the low fps got caused by video capturing?
Thomas

Postby tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:53 am

Thanxs:) and yes - I captured it at 10fps
tomek

Postby Sury » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:25 pm

Very nice movie. The car behaviour seems to be great.
Very nice graphics too.The city seems to be pretty big, you using octrees(quad trees) or portals ?
Also the car shadow looks like a stencil shadow(a bit sharp), but the static street shadows looks quite soft - doesn't look like it's just the low res video blur.Projected shadows or maybe a lightmap and some raycasting from light position to the vehicles bounding box corners and setting the alpha of the car stencil shadow according to the result ?
I also like the dice, and i think a back mirror would be nice:)
Last edited by Sury on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sury

Postby kjelle69 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:30 pm

VERY VERY IMPORTANT REQUEST !!!

You just GOTTA create newton rigid bodies out of them fuzzy dices !!!!!

:lol:

Cool movie !!!
kjelle69

Postby tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 pm

Sury wrote:Very nice movie. The car behaviour seems to be great.
Very nice graphics too.The city seems to be pretty big, you using octrees(quad trees) or portals ?

I'm using 3d grid with polygonal occluders and shooting rays forward to determine visible grid cells. It's quite efficient and allows to reduce renderend meshed up to 8x (from 800 to 100) in a number of cases when camera is looking towards the centere of the city.

Sury wrote:Also the car shadow looks like a stencil shadow(a bit sharp), but the static street shadows looks quite soft - doesn't look like it's just the low res video blur.Projected shadows or maybe a lightmap and some raycasting from light position to the vehicles bounding box corners and setting the alpha of the car stencil shadow according to the result ?

All is shadowmapped. I haven't thought of that resolution differences till now. On the video there are no buildings shadowmaps(turned off at the moment), terrain shadowmap(512x512 because I'm recompiling inquite often and 2048x2048 is expesive to calculate) and car shadow is 256x256 texture. In final release terrain shadowmap will be 2048x2048 and I will soften car shadow by re-rendering it once again. Thanks for the tip!

Sury wrote:I also like the dice, and i think a back mirror would be nice:)

Dice was fake but almost everyone enjoys it so it;s there. I'm using ball&socket joint and manually swing it up and down and because the rope ends behid the mirror noone can see it - there is no real rope :D
tomek

Postby tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:59 pm

kjelle69 wrote:VERY VERY IMPORTANT REQUEST !!!

You just GOTTA create newton rigid bodies out of them fuzzy dices !!!!!

:lol:

Cool movie !!!

I'm afraid I dont uderstand what you wrote :oops:
tomek

Postby Sury » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:35 pm

All is shadowmapped. I haven't thought of that resolution differences till now
In final release terrain shadowmap will be 2048x2048 and I will soften car shadow by re-rendering it once again...

No, it looks great that way, i was just curious. Moreover in real life the shadow sharpness decreases in direct proportion of the distance between the occluder and the shadow plane.
Anyway i should take a look at shadow mapping under DX, looks like cool alternative to stecil shadows.
Sury

Postby tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:54 pm

I developed these shadows a while ago - the are usable even on old TNT(as my game is bugdet game is quite important), and have no back-projection(here I'm using stencil buffer to mask the backprojection out). The drawback is that with two TMU's you need four passes per shadow receiver. But if you decrease shadow receiver count thru spatial queries then the main cost is related to render-to-texture render target switches.
tomek

Postby tomek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:57 pm

I'm writing it (almost) all on my own, but in Ogre or Irrlicht you will probably get shadows at once without much trouble.
tomek

Postby kjelle69 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:36 pm

What I meant was that you have to let the physics react on the dices so if you turn left the dices goes left and vice versa, but if I understand your earlier answers you maybe already did that !

Look very good with or without dices anyway !!!
kjelle69

Postby Sury » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:55 pm

I'm writing it (almost) all on my own, but in Ogre or Irrlicht you will probably get shadows at once without much trouble.

Yea, i took a look at Irrlicht an year ago, found it useful but limited so i moved over to DX.
As for Ogre, i never tryed it.
Anyway i'm doing my own stuff atm.- engine programing/modeling ,and i'm quite happy with DX9, although i do understand that making a decent game from zero by a single person is nearly impossible.
Despite of this i keep trying

Here's a couple of screens from my engine.
http://www.geocities.com/delphinewton/test_scifi.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/delphinewton/test_level00.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/delphinewton/test_level002.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/delphinewton/test_maze002.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/delphinewton/Jungle1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/delphinewton/terra.JPG

I'm thinking to release a physics demo with Newton soon.

P.S.
Sorry for the off topic tomek, i'll move this in a new thread if you want.
Sury

Postby tomek » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:00 am

kjelle69 wrote:What I meant was that you have to let the physics react on the dices so if you turn left the dices goes left and vice versa, but if I understand your earlier answers you maybe already did that !

Look very good with or without dices anyway !!!

Thanx:) Dice is connected with chassis thru signle ball&socket joint but swings on stiff rod - so it is influenced by car movement but it's behaviour is not as real as could be. anyway it's good enough to let it be like that, I think. If I had more time I would polish it - but deadline is near :)
tomek

Postby tomek » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:14 am

Sury wrote:Yea, i took a look at Irrlicht an year ago, found it useful but limited so i moved over to DX.
As for Ogre, i never tryed it.

I'm always looking for some free library that shorten development time, but it always turns out that doing it on my own is the best choice. I like to know my code like my own pocket and external libraries can be malicoius. I'm using only D3DX, Ogg/Vorbius, Newton and TinyXML. D3DX is doing great job and I knew it weel to trust it, Ogg/Vorbis is todays' standard, TinyXML is a helper library which I could live without and Newton is a library I testes thoroughly before I decided to make a commercial game base on it.

Sury wrote:Anyway i'm doing my own stuff atm.- engine programing/modeling ,and i'm quite happy with DX9, although i do understand that making a decent game from zero by a single person is nearly impossible.
Despite of this i keep trying

Just keep on trying till the end of time :wink:

I'm making this racer only with one artist - so there two of us. It's my second commercial game, but first that I like:). I hope I can stay with making games as I like it very much. I wrote almost everything from scratch on my own - sfx management, threaded ogg player, gui, 3d renderer, input management, ai etc. I also made sounds. What was crucial in my opinion - to 'downgrade' things in order to make manageable by one person. This game isn't by any means innovative, comparing it to AAA or BBB titles is a mistake, but there's a market for such games and it isn't to much risk for publisher.

But of course I would like it to be PS/VS 2.0, Dolby surround, 20 tracks and 30 cars, big city with pedestrians, other cars, traffic, accidents etc

Sury wrote:Here's a couple of screens from my engine.

Nice work! And you did it on your own

Sury wrote:P.S.
Sorry for the off topic tomek, i'll move this in a new thread if you want.

Don't worry - stay here if you want :D :D
tomek

Postby walaber » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:51 am

like everyone else, I found the video very impressive! great work so far!! am I right in thinking that this will probably be the first commercial game released using Newton?
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Next

Return to User Gallery