Stunt Playground v1.0 released!!

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby Twixn » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Id say its because unlike normal vehicles, the wheel mass isnt negligable.

Anyway, The new stunt playground doesnt work on my PC :(
I click on the icon on the start menu and nothing happeneds.

Which is a bugger, its sounds very cool.

-Twixn-
Failure is not an option!...It comes bundled with the software.
Twixn

Postby walaber » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:07 pm

Twixn- there was an issue with a version from a while ago where the shortcut didn't have the working directory set properly... try running from Program Files\Stunt Playground\bin\release to determing if that's the problem.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Twixn » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:28 am

Yup, works fine....a shortcut problem? you think i would've
spotted that :roll:

Anyway, very cool :D

-Twixn-
Failure is not an option!...It comes bundled with the software.
Twixn

Postby walaber » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:44 am

okay, final release candidate!! those with a moment, please try installing and make sure it runs properly on your systems!!

DOWNLOAD LINK
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby Sascha Willems » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:31 am

Installed the new version (oh my, what a busy day this is gonna be, with 1.51 finally out) and it installed and runs fine. No more camera-jittering and it's smooth, even at 128x960 with 4xAA.

But somehow the vehicles feel very awkward. I tried that red racing car (Pantera?), a blue racing car (Mustang?) and the Monstertruck and all of them felt very unrealistic. Even with those low height racing cars I could drive up the frontier walls in the stadium and all cars can be bent over when driving corners, especially the monster truck is very easy to get on it's sides.

My time right now is short, so I'll do a bit more testing later this evening (it's still morning here in good'ol germany) and then I'll also give more feedback.

But nonetheless, this is one of the best Newton projects I've seen so far!
Sascha Willems

Postby kallaspriit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:50 am

Playground is looking nice, there are still some things that you could improve:

- car sounds are are very dull and unrealistic, they resamble more of an electric microengine or how do you call thenm
- steering is too fast, i'm having troubles hitting the ramp because it turns too much
- gearshifting is unrealisticly fast, you can a monstertruck into sixth gear in some 4 seconds.
- there is no way to flip a sports car (or pretty much any car) with these speeds on gravel surface (especially the red one and mostertruck)
- when driving on a slope like there is in both curves of the oval track, the car kind of bumps up and down (tires go airborne and back and so forth) when thay actually should have better traction/grip because of the increasing weight or smth
- acceleration is maby too great, I can go from nothing to hundred with a jeep in 4 seconds (there are few sports cars that can do that on asphalt)
- when other cars have maby too soft suspension then the bus seems to have almoust none
- when going airborne, the dust does not stop appearing before you touch the ground again

Other that than. keep up the good job :)
kallaspriit

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:04 am

I found very nice, the only problem for me is the automatic transmission need some adjustment.
I think the first gear is allow for too high speed, and then when it shift there some kind of brace or negative torque effect.
The best anology I can think of it a person learning to drive a stick shift car and do not have the correct timing to set the clutch and gear shifting.

Everything else for me was really cool.

I like that now the S key switch into reverse automatically
Julio Jerez

Postby JernejL » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:39 am

err why dont you listen? the monster truck behaves extremely unrealistic because it has the mass centre too high, no monster truck rolls after a little sharper turn like in SP, these things are stable even on 45° slopes!!

also on side note, some props have textures with old-year text "2005" ;)
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby walaber » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:46 am

okay, I will keep tweaking the vehicle physics before I release.

but it seems to run on everyone's systems, so that's good. I will spend this week trying to make all of the cars drive better.

thanks for the input.
walaber

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:32 pm

Delfi wrote:err why dont you listen? the monster truck behaves extremely unrealistic because it has the mass centre too high, no monster truck rolls after a little sharper turn like in SP, these things are stable even on 45° slopes!!

also on side note, some props have textures with old-year text "2005" ;)

I agree it should not flip so frequenlly for the fun factor, but if you look carefully the truck go from 0 to 75 mile an hour in less than a secund, I can quarantee you a monster truck will flip if it make a shprt turn at that at that speed.
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:00 pm

that's definately true, but the more I work on it, the more I just want the "fun factor" to be high. I have changed most of the cars to drive better, the monster truck will now only flip at very high speed, sharp corners.
walaber

Previous

Return to User Gallery