Stunt Playground v1.0 released!!

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

Postby walaber » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:05 pm

JMC47 - please let me know the specific situation that causes the crash so I can try to reproduce it here!

as for the sonud effects, I found sounddogs.com to be a really nice sight... there is a large selection, and you can purchase sounds (or specific portions of sounds) in any format/quality you want, with instant downloads... I used it for many of the sounds in the game. If I had a bigger budget, I would have used CD quality sounds instead of the 22010kHz versions I bought :P and of course I would have added more sounds in general... the game system allows for each prop to have its own "collision sound", but a lot of them are repeated right now...

p.s. once the linux version of Newton comes out, I'm hoping to compile a linux version as well, and if I can find an Ogre MAC user willing, a MAC version too!! I'm so happy I chose a multi-platform rendering engine :P
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby JMC47 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:22 pm

Here is the thing, I can try to reproduce it, and nothing will happen. Then when I'm making something, it will happen. here is what I am sure about the error

It happens when I left click.
The program was going to close, but crashes trying to close (at least thats what the error says.)
Exact error... Can't do it right now, I tried for an half hour to mess it up and I couldn't, but as soon as I decide to make something and get caught up in it and forget to save, I'm sure it will come up :x.

Anyone else shouldn't be too concerned, since my computer had a lot of trouble with the earlier versions (all fixed by now), and this runtime error is new to me, since it only happens on this version.

I'll try to mess around with it, It will have to come up tomorrow, since it came up 3 times today, I just didn't have the wit to type what the error said at the time.
JMC47

Postby walaber » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:26 pm

actually more important than th eactual error, is the content of the following files (in your Stunt Playground/bin/release directory):

DebugLog.txt

and

Ogre.txt

once the error happens, please send me these files without running the program again! they usually provide enough information to get a good idea of what is happening.
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Postby JMC47 » Sun May 01, 2005 4:57 pm

I found a way to recreate the error

If you minimize it, and try to maximize it, it will have the same error. For some reason, it minimizes itself on its own sometimes. thats what the error is.
JMC47

Postby walaber » Sun May 01, 2005 10:46 pm

weird. I'm 90% sure the problem is that the directX device is lost, and it crashes when trying to re-load the resources.

there is no reason it should minimize on it's own though...
walaber

Postby walaber » Wed May 04, 2005 6:37 am

in other news today I whipped up the beginning of a new car for the game!

I also have one new prop ready... so after making a few more (plus some more vehicles), I hope to release an expansion pack for the game :P it will also fix any known issues/bugs as well :D

walaber

Postby JMC47 » Thu May 05, 2005 6:18 pm

Here is a to get a few bugs. Start up the driving part, and quickly hit escape, now the engine sound will last for the rest of the game until you restart. Plus, if you load levels, sometimes ( most time, especially if you load 2 different levels without exiting and restarting ) you get stuck at 1 MPH for a until you hold forward for a while, though reverse works just fine. And, the Jeep does not always reset right when flipped over, sometimes making it worse. Plus, if a rear wheel gets in the air, you will automatically go to the highest gear for that vehicle.

I hope that list will help you fix the errors/ find them.
JMC47

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat May 07, 2005 5:32 pm

OMG I finally have the time to play this. This is extraordinary.
The object placement tool is excellent.
I think there will be many people interested in you work. Really very, very impressive.
Thanks god the engine does not relay in auto sleep for stability otherwise it would not be possible to do the precise placement that you show.
I saw the videos and somehow I thought that they were better that the real-time play, but I was wrong It is very satisfying to grab objects and try to place then in precarious equilibrium positions.

Congratulation my friend, this is really good.
Julio
Julio Jerez

Postby walaber » Sun May 08, 2005 1:12 am

hansmbakker wrote:is there any source code available of your project? i'd like to make a game with newton and irrlicht with vehicles but there are too few examples on how to do that.

I've yet to release the source for this game... I have thought about it, but am not entirely sure if I'll release the source yet. however the next release of my OgreNewt library will have a very simple vehicle demo. I made this game using my OgreNewt library, so everything you need to know about how I setup the vehicle you can get from that upcoming source.

in fact, Iirlicht is pretty similar to Ogre in terms of the basic layout, so porting OgreNewt over to Iirlicht would actually be pretty simple I think... just a lot of re-typing the Ogre::Vector class into Iirlicht classes, etc. other than these class-based connections, the library has no strong connections to Ogre itself, it's basically just a simple OOP wrapper for Newton... however I think another user has released a completely independant wrapper as well, that might be worth looking into.

Julio- thanks for the nice comments! I'm really happy with the way the game turned out too. I can't wait until the "open-wheel" vehicle bug is fixed, and I can release some interesting new vehicles :D
thanks again for providing such an amazing SDK for all of us to use!! I have some interesting ideas for new games using Newton as well :D
walaber

Postby walaber » Wed May 25, 2005 12:05 am

another preview image from the upcoming expansion pack :D
this is a very generic Tokyo Bus :)

click for larger image

it's kind of useless for performing actual stunts, but it drives very bus-like, and is fun to smash into stacks of props :wink:
walaber

Postby GrimReapa » Wed May 25, 2005 11:19 am

Great game. I have two problems with the game.

The first problem that I can see is that it takes a while for the car to move when the game starts. I can press reverse and it will zoom backwords, but if i press forward, the car goes very slow for a couple seconds and then takes off. This is only when the arena is initiallized. After the initial delay, there isn't one.

The second problem that I have is the car gets jerky at high speeds. Don't know if this is becuase I'm running it on a geforce 5200 or what.

Also, it would be nice to have different vehicles like the bus. Maybe a tractor trailer (with or without the trailer part), a monster truck, motorcycle and a quad.

Keep up the excellent work.
GrimReapa

Postby Cheery » Fri May 27, 2005 9:46 am

Is there more extra models than these ones descbrided?
Cheery

Postby Thomas » Fri May 27, 2005 10:38 am

yes, a motorcycle would be cool (and a nice challenge to implement :p)!
Thomas

Postby walaber » Sun May 29, 2005 10:46 pm

a motorcycle is really beyond the scope of this game, and definately a whole new can of worms, something for another project :)

however there will be about 4 vehicles in the expansion, as well as some new props.

here's a screenshot of another new vehicle :)

walaber

Postby walaber » Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 am

couldn't help it...

LOOP.AVI - DIVX .avi, approx 600KB :D
walaber

PreviousNext

Return to User Gallery