My Air Hockey Game

Share with us how are you using the powerrrr of the force

Moderator: Alain

My Air Hockey Game

Postby duncanf » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:11 pm

Ello all,

My air hockey game is now pretty much finished so I thought it about time to add it to this forum of projects, and while I can't release an executable yet (I will be able to after submission in April sometime) , here are some screenshots of what I've been able to do with Newton and DirectX 9! (see the link below for a longer list of full sized screenies).

This one is from the main part of the game, which is playing a form of air hockey with all sorts of weapons and stuff added in. Players can collect and use 8 different weapons, the one shown here is a 'Ball Bomb', where a player floods their end of the table with little ball bearings that act as a defence from their opponents shots.

And this one is from the extended part of the game where I got bored towards the end of development and decided I wanted to be able to run around the table as a free character (!) and cause using slow-motion, a gravity gun, and explosions. The big orange ball is just a cheap and nasty explosion effect that also happens to show the effective radius of the explosive force (all those boxes that are being thrown into the air were in a nice pile before the explosion, like the ones in the distance).

There's a load more full res (1024x768) screenies here if anyones interested - http://www.duncanf.co.uk/games/airhockey/ And don't take too much notice of the FPS count in the screenies cos it gets distorted by the screenshot taking. Runs at average of 45-50 on my 1700 Athlon with 512 RAM and a Geforce 4, which I think is pretty good. It only starts really dying when I have all box and cylinder stacks moving, 2 ball bombs and a shower of fading transparent boxes falling :)

Of course, none of this would have been possible without Newton, so thank you hugely to the developers for making my first game very fun and very interesting to develop - hopefully it'll get me a good grade!

Cheers, Duncan
duncanf

Postby walaber » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:46 pm

wow, that looks really impressive!! the graphics have a nice feel, and I'm sure the game will be fun to play.

congrats on finishing your first game... can't wait to play it! 8)
Independent game developer of (mostly) physics-based games. Creator of "JellyCar" and lead designer of "Where's My Water?"
walaber

Return to User Gallery