Static scene collision transformation

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Re: Static scene collision transformation

Postby manny » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 am

Just wanted to let you know that the fix works.

I've got an unrelated question: in this current game we're using BSP files and I was wondering what is the most efficient/stable way for Newton to handle collision against static geometry, is it better to feed triangle data to Newton or is it better to build convex collision shapes from vertex clouds (which have been created from the BSP brush data inside the BSP). Just feeding traingle data from the draw surfaces is blazing fast where as the creation of the vertex cloud + the creation of the convex hull takes quite some time, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Or is there some collision shape that directly understands plane data?

Another one, does Newton v3 support internal world scaling? As we're using BSP files our geometry is quite large and could probably be scaled down by the factor 32.
http://www.instaLOD.io - InstaLOD - State of the art 3D optimization
manny
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Static scene collision transformation

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:10 pm

if you have a BSP engine and you have the brushes that the you can make a scene collision and add convex hull brunches.
you can break the down into set of compounds collisions. this will be slow but I assume you have them premade and serialized to some that you can cache in memory
if you do no have the brushes them you can simple make collision trees, again you pre-serialize then to some memory storage

they is no global scale in newton, but you can scale the collision shapes.
Julio Jerez

Previous

Return to Bugs and Fixes