Newton Car demo doesn't work

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Newton Car demo doesn't work

Postby Neill3d » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 am

Hello to everyone,

I have recompiled my old car demo from Newton 2.01 to 2.36 and I have found that now my car is laying on the floor (wheels are going through the floor) Like there is no any wheels collisions.
I have downloaded Newton 3.11 and run sandbox demo. The situation is the same, car is laying on the floor or jumping, but there is no possibility to drive.

Here is a youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjeayVy ... e=youtu.be
I have attached a screenshot.

If someone knows what happent and how to work with a car simulation, please give me some tip or advise.

Thank you.
Attachments
2014-01-08_132325.jpg
2014-01-08_132325.jpg (146.17 KiB) Viewed 8785 times
Neill3d

Re: Newton Car demo doesn't work

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:42 am

That because there is a function in the core engine that I need to fix.
it is the not uniform scale, and fixe for other scale but I forget that part.

that broke the player controller and the Vehicle. I will fix it this weekend

sorry about that.
Julio Jerez

Postby Neill3d » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi Julio,

thank you for the replay. Can you please make a fix in 2.36 version. I'm using that version at the moment and thinking to migrate to 3.0+ in future.
Neill3d

Postby Neill3d » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi Julio,

can you please have a look at the basic car demo to fix it.

Thanks.
Neill3d

Postby Julio Jerez » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Oh sorry,
I will try this wekend, I was doing soem work on the destrution and soft body, but I can take a break and fix the vehicle yes.
Julio Jerez

Postby Neill3d » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks a lot Julio, I'm waiting a lot for this update.
Neill3d

Postby Neill3d » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 am

Hi Julio,

thanks a lot for a car demo update.
Neill3d

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 am

I am adding more refinement this weekend.
-Better Camera (done already you can sync to check it out)
-Automatic transition.
-Review of the tire friction model to have better grip at higher speed

the one thing that bother me, is that I took the specification, for the Viper model for real vehicle data
http://www.vipercentral.com/specifications/

but for some reason it feel that the low gears are way too powerful, It is almost lei the top gear ac as if it was the first gear.
I will hate to have to apply fudge value to make more fun to drive, but on eh other hand people say that Viper are very hard to drive.
I would not know because I have never drive a sport super car, in fact I have never dive a sport car.

What will do is that I will make a Sedan car like a Toyota or and Nissan with realistic value to see if the model is realistic or there is a bug.
But first I will revisit the code for bugs.

when I drive the viper, I set the third or fourth gear and it feel pretty fun to drive to me, it does the cool drifting and tail spin and it all come as emergent physics behavior, no fake anywhere.
Julio Jerez

Postby Neill3d » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:15 pm

I also have never drive a sport car like viper, but the way how you can make some drift and how it's now stable on high speed is really good. For driving a car in game sometimes it's better to choose a balance between something arcade and something very realistic. I would like to test a new car updates on some terrain mesh, my test from 2009 version shows not very good result on custom mesh, there were a lot of situations when car goes unbalance and start rolling or flying. But as I know from the forum You've made a big job on collisions, so now it should be more stable in it's behavour on custom geometry.
and automatic transitions is also a good update, thank you.
Neill3d

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Ok I when over the code and fix a ferw thing.
Art least I knwo that cose is now right.
The only thing left is that model of the engine. right now is a very naive implemnetiopn where the engien torue is appied directly to the tire using th e
gear ratio relation.
In an ideal case this should works however in Practice is does not. I try several adjustmen to see if I can get a compromixe values,
but all adjustement fail.

The only way to make that wiork is by adding a largrage mutiplied contratin that relate the engien RPM to the tire RPM
this is like lamda * (tireRPS - G * engienRPM) and see hwo teh dritivate infolen the oteh varibles.

I will try to do that this week and see how it works, bacause ajusting engiene by hand and tricks is no really going to work.
Julio Jerez

Postby Neill3d » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks Julio, I'm waiting for that update to try.
Neill3d

Postby mpz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 am

Hi Julio,

i am interessting about a working car function too. Do you have any news or a working testcode Please?

thanks for you great work on newton dynamics :)
Michael
mpz

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:35 pm

I have a working version now, and If I may say, I believe this is by far the most advanced and realistic vehicle simulation of any real time physics engine

I have two model, one a high performance Lamborghini super car, and the other a Military transport, late I will add a formula one race car.
The parameters for the engine, gear box are taken form the data * table I found on the internet, so that are in the ball park realistic.
other parameter I made up.

The cool thing is that all behavior that are characteristics of vehicles emergent from the simulation. the Vehicle power slide, drift, tail spin, and do all the thing a rear car do.
I am very happy with how is turning out.

I still have some teaks here and there, but for the most part is all functional, check it out.
Julio Jerez

Return to Bugs and Fixes