Problem with static mesh collision in core 300

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Re: Problem with static mesh collision in core 300

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am

The bottom line is that when adjusted by optimization in thier own environment, a GPU on average, is not more than two times faster than a CPU when doing general
programming and that is only when the algorithm used is not too sequential or has not branches than cannot be predicated,
when the algorithm is even partially to highly sequential of has many branches and si object oriented, then even a slow CPU is better than the best GPU.

The mith that GPU are 10, 100 or even 1000 of times with faster than CPU started with the same dishones people who run these so call benchmark between GPU and CPU,
what they do is that they take extreme data parallel simplistic algorithm and convert it to SOA, run at its best on a GPU, then they run the same kernel compiled in c code on the CPU and of course
the cpu comes short, they declare GPU victory.
Believe me the dishonesty among the people running these test has not bounds, there is a reason why the articles claiming GPU victory comes from Nvidea AMD, and the cheerleader self appointed experts from GPGPU, the Chromos group and GameDev.net.
they have a bested interest in showing up the GPU at its best and the CPU at its worse, because they are in one way of another paid by those companies to show what they want.
The idea is to flood the communications line with misinformation, they know that for 99.99% of the people do no read those articles, they simple
use then as reference as truth just because it has the stamp of IEEE, ACM, of some other label.
By the time paper is demonstrated to be false, it is too late because it already had the desired effect for them, which is to attract the attention of masses.
ACM, and IEEE and all flooded with what I call * Sandwiches papers. The people who engage in these are immoral and Dishonest.

This do not apply to GPU and CPU, it also apply to competing software product, and example of the is these man:
Kenneth Bodin Holmlund
VRlab/HPC2N, Umeå University, Sweden

That man uses his position as Professor of Umea University, to every year, promote his company.
The way he does that is by writing an pseudo evaluation of some technology they consider a strong competitor of Virtual reality lab.
Then the takes any group of Graduate students that year, and the have then writing a turn paper designed to discredit that technology.
He knows that the paper will make it to the internet, and will be promoted.
In reality the paper are Hit job that Virtual Reality Lab uses as a weapon to smear competitors but p[lace the doud of teh mind of the end reader.
all under the "pretention of a Research study by graduate students"
It is not the graduate studendt falt, by enlarge they do not know any better they simple want to graduate to go out and fine a job.

As for how these relate to Newton? I am more concerned with accuracy and stability more than I am with performance.
The trend from physics engine developers are toward algorithms that are parallel by nature, it is not an accident that you see Nvidia and Havok
are investing on pseudo cloth, pseudo soft body, debris, pseudo hydronamic and particles. those things are cheap to calculate in parallel with a small amount of predication, and they convey a fairly convincing result for video games.
Newton moves toward more accurate algorithm and in that line Newton 1.0 was extremely accurate but too slow, hey Newton 1.0 even has a Singular value decomposition canalize to remove problematic contacts.
with Newton 2, I am relaxing the accuracy a little and I am going with and iterative solver, but not to the point that the physics simulation becomes useless.
with Newton 3, is improving on parallel execution, but not to the point that that it is so bad than no one can use it. and I am also doing the parallel stuff like lathe and soft bodies, it is for that aspect that O may end up using OpentCL.
but I will never compromise accuracy and stability.
Julio Jerez

Postby d.l.i.w » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:05 pm

No problem here, just keep your engine on the track it is: simple to understand - and stable

I am more concerned with accuracy and stability more than I am with performance.

Ok, that right, brilliant performance without accuracy and stability is worth nothing...
... being "Game Dynamics" performance shouldn't be too bad - but I really don't see any problems here :mrgreen:

I just wanted to know what you think in general about this topic - having much more insight than me...

Keep doing what you think to be the best - it surely will be the best :D
d.l.i.w

Postby Bird » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:Ok I think I fixed the simd bug. in core 300.
I also added the VS2010 projects.

The strutioe in teh engien is all mesx up still because VS2010 is buggy and do not recover projects from VS 2008 very well.
but for teh project is working.

Tnak for the test, It helped me a lot in tracking that Bug

I finally got a chance to test this and my original test scene is now working perfectly using the latest Newton version.

-Bird
Bird

Previous

Return to Bugs and Fixes