Freeze/Sleep state issues since rev 991

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Re: Freeze/Sleep state issues since rev 991

Postby Sweenie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Would it be possible to add a third state?

For example...
0 = Unfrozen
1 = Frozen(only moving when in continuous contact with an active body) as it works now.

And the third state.
2 = Initially Frozen(Frozen at first but changes state to 0 at first contact with an active body), kinda like it worked before you fixed the bug.

Wouldn't that work without interfering with how it works today?
For example if you want a body to hang frozen in mid air at start but want it to start falling if hit by another body,
or if you want to create a very high and unstable stack of bodies which normally would fall over before reaching equilibrium,
or if you want to place a domino brick on a slope, which wouldn't work because it would fall over before auto-sleeping.
Sweenie

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Markus wrote:I used the freeze state for ramps etc, where the dominos whould normally fall over on their own. Using the freeze state, they keep standing and only get activated when other bodies collide with them.

oh I see the dominos are not in equlirium to begin with and you are using freeze to fake teh equilirium, is that what is going one?

if this is the case first tell me this.

say you place one diminio in a ram. does the domino state put? (that sodul be teh correct behaior)

then toghe the dimino, the domino start to move. bu teh moment you stop toguin it it freezes in mi air,

if that is correct, then it is ver eassy to solev the problem.

basically what you wna is a "One time Freeze" feature , and the way to do that is make a dimino material,
has a flag for each domino, and initailly set to true.
then in teh contact callback check if teh flag is on, if it is then call Unfrezze on teh body and set the flag ON.

then from that point on the body will be normal.
does that fixed the problem?
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:32 pm

I just downloaded the demo, darm!!! that's a cool domino demo.

I I see what you mean when the ball hit a dimino it des no contunue moving because teh feeeze start kick in.
I can undernatand the frustration, but that was a bad bug in the engine and beleive if you do the "One time Unfrezze" trick in the call back it should be work exatly the same way taht was working before fixing the bug,
and more importanly you will get much better performance so that you can put even more dominos.
Julio Jerez

Postby Markus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:oh I see the dominos are not in equlirium to begin with and you are using freeze to fake teh equilirium, is that what is going on?

Yes, that's right. I will try your suggestion and let you know how it works.
Markus

Previous

Return to Bugs and Fixes