Newton Dynamics on code::blocks / mingw ??

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Newton Dynamics on code::blocks / mingw ??

Postby ricardonho » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:45 pm

I´m trying to use the newton dynamics library over mingw ( code::blocks as IDE ), and since the win32 release apparently is only for visual studio, i tryed to link the linux release on it ( libNewton.a ), but i always get the same error with a simple NewtonCreate / NewtonDestroy test:

obj\Release\main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x14)||undefined reference to `NewtonCreate(void* (*)(int), void (*)(void*, int))'|
obj\Release\main.o:main.cpp:(.text+0x1c)||undefined reference to `NewtonDestroy(NewtonWorld const*)'|
||=== Build finished: 2 errors, 0 warnings ===|

it´s possible to use this library over MingW, or it´s completely Visual Studio dependent??? Linking the original win32 release (newton.lib) generates conflits with several other libraries and undefined references to several typical visual studio MVC stuffs.
ricardonho

Re: Newton Dynamics on code::blocks / mingw ??

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm

I can us eteh make file to build a mig build
Julio Jerez

Postby ricardonho » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 am

It works!

Well, in fact, i was wrong thinking that the win32 release was only for Visual Studio. In fact, i only linked the Newton.lib directly from the sdk/dll folder ( 62 KB ), and copied the newton.dll to my *.exe folder, and everything compiles fine over mingW.

Anyway, thanks a lot...
ricardonho

Postby JernejL » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:38 am

I wonder if a mingw (which is GNU C & c++ compiler for windows) build would make any performance difference compared to MSVC on windows platform?
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby jay3d » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:38 am

It would be great also to build newton using Intel C++ 10.1 as it has auto vetorizing features :)
jay3d

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:32 am

ricardonho wrote:It works!

Well, in fact, i was wrong thinking that the win32 release was only for Visual Studio. In fact, i only linked the Newton.lib directly from the sdk/dll folder ( 62 KB ), and copied the newton.dll to my *.exe folder, and everything compiles fine over mingW.

Anyway, thanks a lot...

that is what I thought.
you do not really need a mingw build them.

as for the mingw build, an dteh intell compiler, I build 1.53 with Intel 8.1 (i bought fo 450.00) becaus eat teh time i said it sopport auto vectorzation and OpeneMp.
to my disaapointe ment, the dll becausme amost 50% bigger and 5 to 10% slower than visual studion 2002.
and that was no all, the build malfuntion on AMD machines.
I reported that to Intel and after two or thre month of forth and back email and forum post with no reply, if found about a law sue by some poeple against intel because the proved that Intel on porpuse made bad code for AMD system.
after that in anger I just cut my loses and removed Intel from compiler form my machine.

In my expericne the best compiler by far is Visual studio, 2003, and VS2008 is very, very good.
none of the rest GCC, Intell, metro come even close to VS6 or 2002, in performance, and BUG, they only list more feature but those featire are only check box ietem tha in most cases made the code slower and larger.
usind anything other than visual studio is just a waste of time.

IN fact Visual studion generate code for Mac G5 better tha GCC, but for that you need a sbox360 sdk

It will be so great if Microsoft made a visuall studio for Macs, so that we can get rid moronic GCC.
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:02 pm

I just put a new beta, thsi one soudl be more compatible with any window compiler since it does no uses any of the VS redistribution libraries.
Julio Jerez

Postby agi_shi » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:10 pm

I've been using mingw since forever with the DLL builds, works fine :)
agi_shi

Return to Bugs and Fixes